CoinPeople.com

1939 5 kopeks - Trial? Fantasy?

gxseries

• 1 month later...

Still nothing? :ninja:

It's too weared to be trial.

Fantasy for USSR 1939? Hard to believe!

I have searched a lot but haven't found anything useful but mention that before WW2 there were some areas where local coinage/jetons were in usage. Something like they use in Shpitzbergen (Arktikugol').

Just my guess: It might be piece of Gulag's coinage or Kuzbas?

Known is a genuine 1939 Pattern 3 Kopecks piece with similar design. That 3 Kopecks coin is made of steel. Excessively rare, I've never seen it "in person", only pictures in catalogues. Design looks very similar, so I think that this Aluminum 5 Kop. piece is a fake made for collectors, for those who would think that if there were 3 Kop., why not 5 Kopecks too. :ninja: Some collectors can "fall" easily on a story of recently found "rarity" similar to a known rare coin.

WCO

Yes, I believe I have come across 2 and 3 kopecks in numismatic catalogue that looks similar to this. Wouldn't be too suprised if this is just a fantasy piece. ;) (maybe I should just open a mint shop to produce some ridicious fantasies :ninja: )

WCO, can you please kindly give me your opinion on this "coin" too? http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=10931

So far I haven't come across any material that discusses it.

Yes, I believe I have come across 2 and 3 kopecks in numismatic catalogue that looks similar to this. Wouldn't be too suprised if this is just a fantasy piece. ;) (maybe I should just open a mint shop to produce some ridicious fantasies :ninja: )

WCO, can you please kindly give me your opinion on this "coin" too? http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=10931

So far I haven't come across any material that discusses it.

gxseries,

There is no official information for Patterns of modern Russian coins as far as I know. I used to see for sale about a dosen of Russian modern patterns and trial impressions of different coins including designs that were never approved. Some of them were just on one side and gold, or platinum plated, however some looked as coins in a wrong metal and some were even in gold. Pandaamerica had a group of trial one-sided impressions about a year or so ago. Those all went for $150-350 or so as far as I remember.

I guess it may take "a few years" until some info becomes public and you will find out what you own, real Pattern or fantasy piece.

WCO

Archived