CoinPeople.com

What to do with my "collection"

Aaron D. Campbell

I have a coin "collection" of sorts. Nothing fancy, mostly stuff I came across, and a few small things that friends/family got me. Probably nothing worth too much, but I'd like to unload it anyway. Does anyone have any idea where I could do that?

I have pennies dating back to 1863, with at least one of those paper/cardboard holders that is completely full, a 3 ring binder with a bunch in it, a very nice looking set of all 3 steel pennies, and a bag of wheatbacks that I've never gone through.

I have 2 2c pieces (1865 and 1868)

I have some 5c pieces, including 1883, and a 1908

I have quarters, including a 1876 from the Carson City mint, and a bunch of those state sets (the ones with 2 quarters in them, one facing forward and one back)

There are a bunch of 50c pieces, but nothing very old

There are a bunch of silver dollars, but nothing very old

There are a handful of Susan B dollars

I have these 3 sets called the "Americana Series":

Yesteryear Collection has:

1908 Barber Half Dollar

1899 Barber Quarter

1914 Barber Dime

1906 Liberty Nickel

1902 Indian head penny

Vanishing Classics Collection has:

1945 Walking Liberty half dollar

1925 Standing Liberty quarter

1939 Mercury Dime

1935 Buffalo Nickel

1943 Steel Penny

Presidents Collection has:

1964 Kennedy half dollar

1964 Washington Quarter

1964 Roosevelt Dime

1964 Jefferson Nickel

1964 Lincoln Penny

I have US Mint Proof sets for 81, 82, and 2000

I have "United States Mint Coin Sets" for:

67, 69, 70, 71, 72, 75, 82, 83, 84, 85, and 86

I have a 1999 American Eagle Silver dollar in a case that's been colored on the front (patriotically)

A bunch of those cardboard-type books with no coins (or very few), a couple red books (not current, 2000 and 2002), etc.

This is just a sort of rough overview, so if there is a good place to sell these, I'd be happy to hear it. If anyone doesn't understand what I've listed (I'm not much of a coin person), I can send pictures of anything.

Nice collection. The stock answers here are...find a dealer in your area and see if he's interested or theres always eBay. But I would suggest you stick around here and learn about what you have. Lots of the members can tell you anything you need to know about what you have and what is worth. Then if you still want to sell you'll have a better idea of values or after 30 days & 50 posts you can try to sell them here in our advertizing forum. Of coarse you just might find after 30days that you want to keep your collection and even add to it. Ask our member "Dads stuff".

Oh, and welcome to Coin People.

Another question, on some of this stuff, is it really worth trying to sell? Or should I just go deposit them in the bank? I'm talking about things like:

the $2 bills

$1 Silver Cert

8 Silver Dollars ranging from 1974 to 1978

29 Susan Bs

64 1/2 dollars ranging from 1957 to 1996

I'm just wondering if this stuff is worth enough more than face value to make it worth selling.

Another question, on some of this stuff, is it really worth trying to sell? Or should I just go deposit them in the bank? I'm talking about things like:

the $2 bills

$1 Silver Cert

8 Silver Dollars ranging from 1974 to 1978

29 Susan Bs

64 1/2 dollars ranging from 1957 to 1996

I'm just wondering if this stuff is worth enough more than face value to make it worth selling.

The $2 notes could be deposited, no real loss. The silver certificate $1 is worth a little over face value. The Eisenhowers '74-'78 could be worth $1.50-$3.00 each to collectors if they're uncirculated. The Susan B's are candidates for depositing if they are the common 1979 date that comes from the post office stamp machines as change for a $20. Any half dollar dated through 1964 is silver and is worth $4.84 in actual silver bullion value at today's close of market. Half dollars dated 1965-70 are worth $1.83 in silver bullion.

The rest of what you described earlier has collectible value to some degree. A dealer will offer you less than a collector would, but a dealer is more likely to buy it all.

28Plain is right.

You have a much better chance of selling a lot of it to a dealer. But be warned, you will take a price hit. There could be something in your collection that is worth a decent amount yet the dealer won't tell you (there are dishonest dealers).

Dad's Stuff is kind of in your situation. I've made a few deals with her and not only is she happy about unloading the stuff, I'm happy that I got some cool coins.

There are things that "peaked" my interest.

Thanks 28Plain. Does that mean that any 1/2 dollars 1971-present are worth basically face value? Does that include the bicentennial ones? As it turns out, I have 4 silver 1/2 dollars (57-D, 60-D, 63-D, 64), and 2 partial-silver ones(both 1968-D).

Burks, if something piqued your interest, let me know (unless that's against the rules until I meet the 30/50 rule...in which case, let me know that). I think that ultimately I'll put a photo-gallery with everything in it, and a link to it in the sell section that basically says "everything must go"

You have a much better chance of selling a lot of it to a dealer. But be warned, you will take a price hit. There could be something in your collection that is worth a decent amount yet the dealer won't tell you (there are dishonest dealers).

You can use ANA Dealer Directory to find dealers in your area:

http://www.money.org/ana_custom/dealer_sea...aler_search.cfm

Please note that any offers to sell will be removed if you don't meet the 30/50 rule. :ninja:

I also have a foreign (German?) bill that I know nothing about.

Right, that is a German Empire note. Relatively common and easy to get, ie. don't expect much in terms of value, sorry. That type (1000 Mark, 21 April 1910) costs a few euro here, more if in excellent condition. But I am not a paper money collector, and thus don't know about any criteria (serial number, variations) that could perhaps make this particular note more valuable ...

Christian

Thanks 28Plain. Does that mean that any 1/2 dollars 1971-present are worth basically face value? Does that include the bicentennial ones? As it turns out, I have 4 silver 1/2 dollars (57-D, 60-D, 63-D, 64), and 2 partial-silver ones(both 1968-D).

I never bothered with the cupronickel ones 1971 and up, so there may be some that are worth more than face value that I don't know about. There are also silver proof halves which may have ended up in circulation. The bicentennial ones have no special value that I know of, except for the silver S mint ones that came in a set.

Really the 1971 to present halves only have value if they are in uncirculated condition or have some kind of error (doubling, etc). Be on the look out for circulated proofs, they are out there.

The silver ones a dealer probably won't give you over melt on them if they aren't UNC. The Franklins may fetch a bit more though.

Even when in UNC, modern clad halves are hard to sell, and a dealer may not be interested.

Silver coins - expect 80-90% of melt depending on the coin, and the dealer. 90% silver coins are usually bought at the best rate, while the silver war nickels tend to be discounted rather heavily due to higher refining costs. It also depends on whatever or not the dealer him/herself deals in sivler directly, or simply sells to another dealer.

The British penny depicted is common, and is commonly sold for 25 cents or so in a dealer's "cheap foreign coins" bin.

Sounds like someone is in a hurry to get rid of coins and currency. To bad. That is usualy great for the purchasers and not real smart for the sellers. I really suggest taking a little time first to note what you have. Not sure where it all came from but if it was all a part of a collection, you may be getting rid of items worth a lot more than you think. For instance with currency dates, serial numbers, condition, etc could make your $2 blll more than you think. There is a guy with a web site that specializes in Ike Dollars for instance. I think it is JMScoins. Then there is the chance you may have some error coins there. You should really find out what you have. One thing you may want to try is do a search on the web for coins shows and go there and try selling it all.

However, don't listen to Brett and instead just give it all to me. I'll sacrifice the time to see what it is. And you will receive a great big thanks. :ninja:;)

Thanks all for the info on the 71 & newer halves. Also on the foreign stuff.

As for selling in a hurry, I'm not in a huge hurry, but I don't really want to spend a lot of time on it either. I know it's a fairly cheap collection, because I built it when I was a little younger (I'm only 24 now, so it was not THAT long ago), and I didn't spend hardly anything on it. I don't mind not getting top dollar, as long as the sale is fair to the buyer and me, I'm happy. Already I found that I had about $70 in face value that I can just deposit...that's not bad.

I still have a LOT of wheatback pennies (I'm guessing 500-750?) in a plastic bag that I never DID go through. And a binder full of ones that I did. Anyway, I'll bide my time to the 30 day mark before I advertise any on here, but I hope to sell most of it before then.

Archived