CoinPeople.com

A new Victorian piece for my collection ...

AuldFartte

The medal is silver, measures about 55mm diameter and about 5mm thick ... it's heavy!!! The obverse is the Victoria "Young Head" by Wyon, surrounded by the legend VICTORIA D:G: BRITANNIARUM REGINA MDCCCXXXVII. Under the bust is the word PATRONA. The reverse is a "sculpture" of a nude human torso and leg, strategically covered by what appears to be fabric. Both the "Young Head" and the torso sculpture include the artist's name,W WYON S on the sculpture, W.WYON R.A. on the bust. Reverse legend ROYAL ACADEMY INSTITVTED MDCCLXVIII . Under the sculpture is the word STVDY .

The edge is engraved (not during the mint process, apparently) TO MR. A. GATLEY, FOR THE BEST MODEL FROM THE LIFE. DECR. 10TH 1844. And it includes the original case.

If anyone has further information about this piece, I'd sure appreciate it :ninja:

900421.jpg

:ninja:  ;) You have the coolest stuff, AF.

Why, thank you, ma'am ;)

It's often been said that Wyon was a master at die engraving. It's pieces like this that show how good he was.

It's easy to see why the Queen was delighted by his portrait of her and also why she insisted rather erm... modestly on keeping it unchanged for 50 years. :ninja:

I agree....she changed for the worse on larger silver in 1887 and all copper/bronze in 1895.

I think the first tanning salon opened in London during the latter part of 1886. :ninja:

My brain just fried!! Thanks alot, I was out pullin weeds. Now I have reason to stay in.:

"If anyone has further information about this piece, I'd sure appreciate it"

I like the piece, a true oddity nearly. On 1 side you have the straight-laced, the other, Dali-ish.

I agree....she changed for the worse on larger silver in 1887 and all copper/bronze in 1895.

I don't know Peter i bit the numismatic bug mostly because of the Jubilee portrait of her late Majesty, so i suppose i have alot to thank Mr Boehm for.

But i agree the Brock portrait of 1893 onwards was not so flattering, but it was really necessary by then i think. The Wyon portrait had gone on for long enough by 1887. Pity that the Gothic was lost though.

Still even Brock and Boehm did a better job at obverses than G. W. de Saulles. Although the latter can't be knocked on his reverse designs.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks :ninja:

You know me ... I like anything "Victoria" ;)

What a beautiful thing! Victorian observes are always gorgeous but thats the best I've seen in a while!

Not sure, but I think that was the image of Queen Victoria that was adopted to use on the first stamps (1d black in 1840) and was continued on her british stamps until 1901. I will check on this later.

Regards,

PAB

Victoria is on stamps ... uh-oh ... I'm in serious trouble now :ninja:

Victoria is on stamps ... uh-oh ... I'm in serious trouble now  :ninja:

I think that Albquerquequequeque has a rather large stamp club. If not, you can always go north to Santa Fe. I understand they have a very active club.

I never could spell Albuquerque....

I think that Albquerquequequeque has a rather large stamp club. If not, you can always go north to Santa Fe. I understand they have a very active club.

I never could spell Albuquerque....

;);):lol:

Good one, Art !!!

Naw, I'd better not. I spend too much on metal thingies with Victoria already :ninja:

The only info I can give is that I'd love to acquire a medal like that. I think that Victoria must have been strikingly beautiful as a young lady, especially with that lovely Hapsburg nose.

Some are beautiful and some notso.

There has been plenty of interbreeding within the Euro communities over the centuries.

I think current Lizzie was a a cracker.....I still like her up with Liz Taylor.

My wife says Andy and William are dishy.

Di was a beauty...not just in looks and Charles seems a sensible bloke.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

:ninja: