CoinPeople.com

Question on 1867 France 5-Franc

jtryka

Yesterday I got some French coins I purchased from a board member, and the I compared the 1867 5-Franc coin to the one I bought in Rome about 10 years ago. The one from Rome has a reeded edge but the one I got yesterday had a lettered edge, otherwise they are identical. Is this a known variety? Why the difference? Which one is rarer? Any help would be appreciated!

If you have the ability to electronically weigh the coins try and see wheater the reeded edge coin does not reflect the weight of copper with silverplating

I have a non existent silver 100 FF Napoleon III with reeded edges

(copper with silverplating ) and was informed by a french forum they are copies made in England

In my Gadoury catalogue "Monnaies Francaises 1789-2003" at page 212 the 5 Francs - Second Empire , position 739 all years 1861-1870 and all Mintmarks :A, BB, and E (this one only for 1861 and 1867) are presented:

"Argent 900, 25g, 37 mm Tranche en relief: DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE". Graveur: Desire-Albert Barre.

Frappe totale : 50,094,449 (15 pieces - dies)

Only 1867E exist with PLAIN edge (not reeded) as essai (probe), at a price of 2000 euro, but is not this case.

Looking at all 5 Francs coins, there are only with lettered edges. No one with reeded edge and no restrikes. It must be a fake...

In my Gadoury catalogue "Monnaies Francaises 1789-2003" at page 212 the 5 Francs - Second Empire , position 739 all years 1861-1870 and all Mintmarks :A, BB, and E (this one only for 1861 and 1867) are presented:

"Argent 900, 25g, 37 mm Tranche en relief: DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE". Graveur: Desire-Albert Barre.

Frappe totale : 50,094,449 (15 pieces - dies)

Only 1867E exist with PLAIN edge (not reeded) as essai (probe), at a price of 2000 euro, but is not this case.

Looking at all 5 Francs coins, there are only with lettered edges. No one with reeded edge and no restrikes. It must be a fake...

I also bought another 1874 5-franc with a reeded edge from this board member which must also be fake. Looks like I will be forced to melt them.

I also bought another 1874 5-franc with a reeded edge from this board member which must also be fake. Looks like I will be forced to melt them.

As far as I know there are only edges with the lettres in relief and as a variety incuse lettres engraved in the edge

All reeded edges are copies as far as I know and my copy is copper (not even silver )

but since a silver 100 FF does not exist I knew I was buying a copy

The only restrikes I know off are post 1906 gold 20 franks and modern commems from Monnaie de Paris

Archived