CoinPeople.com

New addition to my poltina collection

bobh

Hi Bob,

Finally I got a nice poltina of Nikolaus II too ;)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...N%3AIT&rd=1

I know it's not cheap, but you know how difficult it is to find this year, even though in the Conros catalogue the price is pretty low (they should try to get one for this price) ;)

Congratulations! :ninja: Now you can sell it to me! ;)

I almost bid on that one, but the fact that the seller is in Estland made me stay away. I am just afraid of too many problems like things getting lost in the mail, returns, etc. Perhaps it is time to venture into dealing with sellers there, because they have some coins (like your 1907 poltina) which are hard to find elsewhere.

Bobh, rare coin, congratulations! Almost all 1901-AR coins look for me being even scarcer than listed in all catalogues.

WCO

Thanks! :ninja:

The Kazakov catalog rates coins by relative scarcity (for each type only). He indicates 1901-AR as scarcer than 1906-EB and 1902-AR. Even scarcer than 1901-AR are only 1899-EB, 1904-AR, 1903-AR and 1898-AG as well as other coins with the plain edge and 180 degree reverse die orientation. However, the last two years mentioned were proof-only issues, so of all the regular non-error strikes, he considers only 1899-EB and 1904-AR to be more scarce.

I was surprised to see how scarce 1899-EB is.

Guest Aidan Work

One of the nicest silver 1 Rouble coins that you have to get is the 1913 one that commemorates the Tercentenary of the Romanoff (Romanov) Dynasty.It depicts both Czar Mikhail (Michael) (ruled 1613-45) & Czar Nicholas II (ruled 1894-1917).

Both 1912 commemoratives are very difficult to find,as is the 1914 Gangut Rouble.I have seen a genuine Gangut Rouble (which depicts Czar Peter I,the Great),but there are very deceptive forgeries around,so be extremely careful! The 1883 & 1896 Coronation Roubles are also very seldom seen.I've never seen either of these coins in my nearly 10 years involvement in the coin trade.

Aidan.

The 1883 and 1896 commemorative or rather coronation rubles were actually quite common in the past but a lot of them are hoarded by the Russian buyers. At one stage, I remember seeing at least 5 different 1896 rubles and owned two, saw one shocking 1883 UNC ruble and gave a damaged one away, thinking that I can buy it sometime soon. All that changed these few years.

I was probably shockingly lucky when I held 3 different 1834 rubles at one stage and I have two at the moment. I even saw two different 1898 Dvorik rubles and one 1912 war ruble. The only few coins that I never managed to handle are rarer ones like the 1835 1.5rubles, 1839 1.5 Borodin rubles, 1841 marriage ruble, 1912 Enthroment ruble and the Gangut ruble itself.

Makes you wonder what kind of lucky place I was in since I bought out what I can. (and makes me wonder if I should have bought other rubles instead of the column ruble)

• 4 months later...
Congratulations! :ninja: Now you can sell it to me! ;)

I almost bid on that one, but the fact that the seller is in Estland made me stay away. I am just afraid of too many problems like things getting lost in the mail, returns, etc. Perhaps it is time to venture into dealing with sellers there, because they have some coins (like your 1907 poltina) which are hard to find elsewhere.

I am happy to say that I "jumped over my shadow", as they say in German (i.e.: gathered up courage, more or less) and finally bought something from a seller in one of the Baltic countries for the first time. It was no problem whatsoever! Curiously enough, it was for a

;)1907 50 kopeek coin ;)

Just like the one kisenish recently bought, similar low grade. Very tough date!

A bit more expensive than kisenish's 1907, though -- but it's a nice coin, only a small rim ding at 6 o'clock on the obverse. Otherwise, just honest wear.

If this year is as common as most references say it is, I'll probably be able to get a nicer one -- but I think I've only seen two or three offered in as many years on eBay. Looks like 1910 is much more common, especially in lower grades like this one. But it is really hard to find any poltiny between 1901 and 1909, much less nice-looking ones!

I think I'll need to become very restrictive in my coin purchases if I ever intend to complete this mini-series ... I think I've been very lucky to have gotten this far! What would be nice now is to find some high-grade specimens of the pre-1900 dates (AU or better). The dates are common enough (except for things like 1898 and 1899-EB), but one almost never sees them in higher grades.

Thanks!

The Kazakov catalog rates coins by relative scarcity (for each type only). He indicates 1901-AR as scarcer than 1906-EB and 1902-AR. Even scarcer than 1901-AR are only 1899-EB, 1904-AR, 1903-AR and 1898-AG as well as other coins with the plain edge and 180 degree reverse die orientation. However, the last two years mentioned were proof-only issues, so of all the regular non-error strikes, he considers only 1899-EB and 1904-AR to be more scarce.

I was surprised to see how scarce 1899-EB is.

I am also surprised about the rarity of the 1899 EB and am not certain that I agree. However, the 1901 AR is certainly a very difficult coin to find in any condition.

RWJ

Archived