CoinPeople.com

Katanga Cross

Scottishmoney

katangacross.jpg

Not really a coin persay, but more like money these were used in the Congo region of Africa from about the 14th century through the very early part of the 20th century. These were apparently cast from bronze in sand molds. Their shapes very a bit, from cruciform or cross, to more of an X shape, and there are even small examples which may have been for small change.

In the early 20th century this piece would have purchased about 6 chickens or 20lbs of flour.

Cool! I saw a show about how they do sand casting, they were making small idols but I would think the process here is the same...interesting.

Talking about big money, dont know if these have been posted here before but I know a guy who was from Micronesia (the island of Yap and some were from another island called Truk) and there they had very big money. I realized this because he had a shirt that showed a guy leaning up against a giant coin. They got the concept of money but they didnt make the step in the representational concept when it came to size thus he mosre it was worth, the larger the coin needed to be:

post-card-stone-money.jpg

yap_stonemoney.jpg

yap-ancient-money.jpg

try fitting those in your coin holder :ninja:

Cool! I saw a show about how they do sand casting, they were making small idols but I would think the process here is the same...interesting.

Talking about big money, dont know if these have been posted here before but I know a guy who was from Micronesia (the island of Yap and some were from another island called Truk) and there they had very big money. I realized this because he had a shirt that showed a guy leaning up against a giant coin. They got the concept of money but they didnt make the step in the representational concept when it came to size thus he mosre it was worth, the larger the coin needed to be:

post-card-stone-money.jpg

yap_stonemoney.jpg

yap-ancient-money.jpg

try fitting those in your coin holder :ninja:

Does Dansco make an album for those? Chuck Opitz who is one the best known authors of books about these types of money and actually has several Yap stones in his collection has visited our coin club almost yearly to give us presentations and updates on his travels and research on Traditional Monies. It's really neat stuff.

Archived