CoinPeople.com

FR: Mozart, Death Penalty, Curie, Invalides

tabbs

Don't know how many of you collect French euro collector coins. But here's the latest bunch. Some designs I like (e.g. Mozart's portrait, or the idea of a stylized guillotine on the Death Penalty coin), and others - such as the hands on the piano, or Marie Curie in front of the students - I don't find very appealing.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (born 250 years ago)

€0.25 (silver), €10 (gold), €20 (silver)

10041242940000.jpg10041242940000.jpg

Abolition of the Death Penalty (25 years ago)

€1.50 (silver), €20 Euro (gold), €50 (gold, partly colored), €100 (gold, partly colored)

10041239930000.jpg10041239930000.jpg

Marie Curie/Maria Sklodowska: First woman to teach at the Sorbonne (100 years ago)

€20 (silver), €20 (gold)

10041242910000.jpg10041242910000.jpg

Dôme des Invalides (completed 300 years ago)

€1.50 (silver), €10 (gold)

10041240040000.jpg10041240040000.jpg

The main problem I have with the Monnaie de Paris, however, is its issue policy: An extremely high number of issues per year, combined with low mintages. I hardly ever buy new issues any more. Ah well, chacun à son goût ...

Christian

Don't know how many of you collect French euro collector coins. But here's the latest bunch. Some designs I like (e.g. Mozart's portrait, or the idea of a stylized guillotine on the Death Penalty coin), and others - such as the hands on the piano, or Marie Curie in front of the students - I don't find very appealing.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (born 250 years ago)

€0.25 (silver), €10 (gold), €20 (silver)

10041242940000.jpg10041242940000.jpg

Abolition of the Death Penalty (25 years ago)

€1.50 (silver), €20 Euro (gold), €50 (gold, partly colored), €100 (gold, partly colored)

10041239930000.jpg10041239930000.jpg

Marie Curie/Maria Sklodowska: First woman to teach at the Sorbonne (100 years ago)

€20 (silver), €20 (gold)

10041242910000.jpg10041242910000.jpg

Dôme des Invalides (completed 300 years ago)

€1.50 (silver), €10 (gold)

10041240040000.jpg10041240040000.jpg

The main problem I have with the Monnaie de Paris, however, is its issue policy: An extremely high number of issues per year, combined with low mintages. I hardly ever buy new issues any more. Ah well, chacun à son goût ...

Christian

I agree with your sentiments concerning `La Monnaie de Paris'

Their recent offerings are a very sad reflection of France's numismatic capabilities and history.

The Monnaie de Paris obviously does not expect anybody to collect all of their issues - way too many different occasions, and (in several cases) extremely low mintages, like 100 pieces. Guess they consider them to be souvenir coins. And quite a few issues look like "built to order" coins to me - Bernadotte for the Swedish market, Curie for Polish collectors, Franklin for Americans, and Hello Kitty for fans of tacky toys. :ninja:

Oh well, that is what Liberia, Palau, etc. have been doing for years. And it's not that I boycott recent MdP commems or anything, but under these circumstances it is much easier to ignore much of their output. It's pretty much the same, in my opinion, with the RCM (Canada). Some really neat designs, but most of their precious metal issues do not make it into my collection.

I also read that the MdP will be the only (?) euro mint that plans to issue next year's "Treaty of Rome" circulating €2 commem as part of the BU set only, ie. no loose pieces. But I have not found any official source, so ... well, I hope that information is wrong.

Christian

MdP and the RCM in Canada are the Queens of ridiculous commems. But think about it in a deeper sense, with some of the German States commems in the 19th century - and perhaps we can blame Germany ;)

Oh no. Ooooh nooo! Odd occasions maybe, but not this "let's make some coin that collectors in (insert country) may be interested in" business. :ninja:

And, I totally forgot - there will be two more issues ...

• Amélie d'Orléans who married the Portuguese prince and later king Carlos, and thus became the (last) queen of Portugal:

€1.50 (silver) max 3,000 pieces

€10 (gold) max 500

• Arc de Triomphe (started 200 years ago, from the Monuments de France series):

€1.50 (silver) max 10,000

€10 (gold) max 500

€20 (silver) max 500

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
Some of them are issued in max. 250 pieces at some astronomic prices that a normal person can't imagine that somehow, sometime, he would manage to buy one of them!

Seems that many mints, in Europe and elsewhere, have not quite found the right number of commems to make. :ninja: Here in DE some people complain about the high mintage of the German collector coins ("they will never be worth more than face"). Others lament the low mintages of some French or Greek issues for example - and rightfully so in my opinion.

(Oh, and welcome to CoinPeople!)

Christian

One of the things I hate about French Euro commems is the ridiculous markups on them.

Sure, I also prefer getting silver coins at face value. But many mints charge more, much more, than face. Belgium and Italy for example come to my mind. (And the US of course where you pay 30+ dollars for a silver coin with a nominal value of one dollar.) With gold, platinum, etc. coins we are pretty much used to the face value only being vaguely related to the issue price. And many countries (most, I suppose) deal with silver coins in the same way ...

Christian

Archived