CoinPeople.com

1947 Red Book - Reissued Dec 2006

Art

According to a Whitman ad in CoinWorld, they are going to re-release the 1947 Red Book. It will contain all of the original info on series and pricing and be available in December 2006 at $17.95. That's a pretty interesting concept for collectors, especially those who collect RedBooks. 1947 was the very first issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this a re-release of the same book? Does the older edition provide information that had to be trimmed out in later editions???

Have you got an image of this book?

I am familiar with the Whitman Catalog. I trust it over all the rest.

Is this a re-release of the same book? Does the older edition provide information that had to be trimmed out in later editions???

Have you got an image of this book?

I am familiar with the Whitman Catalog. I trust it over all the rest.

From what I've read it's a re-release of the original 1947 book. They haven't said anything about added dialogue. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these a year, if this one succeeds. An original 1947 is quite pricey.

If this is true the value of the original will drop fantastically unless there is a statement in front saying something like second printing. I do hope they do this and also some of the other earlier editions. I have everything from the 8th Edition to present in the hardcover version. this would give me a chance to complete all for a decent price.

• 2 weeks later...
If this is true the value of the original will drop fantastically unless there is a statement in front saying something like second printing. I do hope they do this and also some of the other earlier editions. I have everything from the 8th Edition to present in the hardcover version. this would give me a chance to complete all for a decent price.

Actually, as a collectible, I believe the original will RAISE further in price. Much like Mexican reproduced gold or reproduced ducat. A piece that is known to be original will hold a collectible premium over the reproduction. And there will be more exposure to the "existence" of the First Edition and the concept of "Redbook Collecting". My earliest thus far is a 1963 Redbook.

I think that the publishers would put something along the lines of "2nd Printing" in the copyright notice of the reprint for legal reasons. The Redbooks for years now have been publishing "values" for previous editions of the Redbook, and reprinting the First Edition without properly identifying the work as a second printing may hold some legal implications.

If you simply want the first edition for "informative" purposes, then this is great news! But, if you actually collect them as collectibles, this simply adds yet another redbook to add to the collection :ninja:

I'm sure that the new book will be clearly differentiated from the original. There are sections at the rear of the book reviewing the major winners on price appreciation and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure but I think I read somewhere that it is illigal to reprint books once out of print without stating second edition or second printing or something like that. Note in even school text books that is tusually there near the front. As to the value of the original, it will still be way up there. A second printing will not effect the original. If it did could you imagine how such a thing would effect the Mona Lisa Painting. There are virtually thousands of copies of that.

Archived