CoinPeople.com

1940 Italian 50 Centesimi coins

everycountrycoins

Hello coinpeople,

I have a couple of 1940 50 Centesimi coins from Italy. I know that there is supposed to be a magnetic version and a non-magnetic version. One of my coins is HIGHLY magnetic, the other barely can be picked up by the magnet. Is the non-magnetic version completely non-magnetic, or is my slightly magnetic coin an example of the non-magnetic variety?

Hoping that someone who has both can clarify the situation for me,

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
All Nickel coins are less or more magnetic. Magnetic is made of steel, so called non magnetic of nickel

First of all, I'm a little surprised that only one person "dared" to throw his/her theory out there. Thanks to the one person who responded.

That stated, I'm not sure this response addresses what I am seeing in the Krause-Mischler catalog. This coin (KM# 76) was made of nickel in 1936-38. After that the catalog lists KM# 76a and 76b. They both list a composition of stainless steel. Since KM# 76b (1939-43) indicates "Magnetic", one is left to assume that KM# 76a (1939-40) is the non-magnetic version. This again leaves me with the question--does anybody have an example of KM# 76a? If yes, is it completely non-magnetic, or is it weakly magnetic?

I would really appreciate a little help here....

Bruce

Let's see what my Schön catalog (German) says about this ...

50 Centesimi 1939-1943

a. (St austenitisch) 1939-1940

b. (St ferritisch) 1939-1943

According to the explanation in the catalog, the "a" type was made using planchets with varying nickel content in the alloy ("Niox") and is thus weakly magnetic (to a varying extent). The "b" type is made from chrome steel without nickel ("Acmonital") which is strongly magnetic.

Basically the same as what DawsonsLV wrote: None of the two types is absolutely "non-magnetic", it seems.

Christian

Let's see what my Schön catalog (German) says about this ...

50 Centesimi 1939-1943

a. (St austenitisch) 1939-1940

b. (St ferritisch) 1939-1943

According to the explanation in the catalog, the "a" type was made using planchets with varying nickel content in the alloy ("Niox") and is thus weakly magnetic (to a varying extent). The "b" type is made from chrome steel without nickel ("Acmonital") which is strongly magnetic.

Basically the same as what DawsonsLV wrote: None of the two types is absolutely "non-magnetic", it seems.

Christian

Thank you, Christian. What you have shared has help me decide which coins are the different types.

Bruce

Archived