CoinPeople.com

Belg_jos: The Errorcollector from Belgium

belg_jos

Since my time at CP, I've seen a bunch of coins with diebreaks running tangentially through legends. I'd love to know the premium of one of those and find one for myself.

I think you can't really talk about a premium for die breaks on non-US coins.

There simply isn't a demand for it, and also not enough knowledge about them.

Every piece ever minted exists with die breaks, so it will take a while to find one that is worth much more than another. The supply is simply to big.

UScoins are a total different story, as you may know...

Regards,

Jos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to my very first meeting of the coinclub where I registered today, and received a warm welcome. Many of the members were glad that they finally had someone to sell all those bad coins to, so I opened my wallet and swapped some cash for new pieces for my collection.

Sweet!

This one was the best one today:

25 Centimes 1971 - French Legends - Struck twice Off Center

921049.jpg

I had already a small dozen of off centers of this type, but this is my very first doublestrike. Ok, it might not be the best piece ever, but for me, it made my day! :ninja:

Regards

Jos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed, it wasn't the only one. The others where just small errors. 10-20% offcenter of coins I already had. Just other dates. Not really worth to mention.

The more spectacular additions of this weekend, are die varieties. I don't really think that CPeops would be interested in that. They are not mentioned in the Krause, nor in the Belgian catalogue (Morin).

The only one that I can show, is a die rotation. I already had a 90° rotation of this coin, but my girlfriend found a 150° rotation. What an addition (both the coin AND the girlfriend :ninja: )

5 Francs 1943 - French Legends

5fr1943%20-%20die%20rotation%20150°.jpg5fr1943%20-%20die%20rotation%20150°a.jpg

I left it in the holder that I got it in.

For 3 euros (about $4)! Hard to leave that behind...

Jos

Well well well, what do we have here?

This looks like a really nice broadstrike of a 1 Franc 1965 - Dutch legends, struck through a piece of scrap metal, and with nice doubling on the reverse.

This joker measures 22.4 mm instead of the normal 21 mm.

ocs001f02.jpgocs001f02a.jpg

ocs001f02b.jpgocs001f02c.jpg

Sweet!

:ninja:

More info on this coin in the Error and Variety forum: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=14266

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Maybe the holes are on-center but the coin is offcenter from the hole?

No, their not. The rim is even all the way around. The holes are punched after the planchets are stamped out of a plate, but before the coin is struck. When the hole isn't in the center, the material flows, and this results in a hole that isn't perfectly round.

Jos

• 3 weeks later...

This one got delivered today. The hunt was long and hard, but here he is.

The very first large diebreak on a Leopold I silvercoin.

I've seen some diecracks, but this is the very first large break on this type I've seen.

You could say, I'm happy :ninja:

dbr005f01.jpgdbr005f01b.jpg

dbr005f01a.jpg

Regards,

Jos

Very nice find that is quite eye catching :ninja: Can I ask how many errors you have in your collection now? ;)

;)

Hard to say. The large errors would add up to about 300. But when you add the clashed dies, lamination errors, diechips & cracks, I think I will get close to the 1000-mark.

But still not enough ;)

And the search for die varieties is still on too, so there is still enough left to look for ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived