CoinPeople.com

bobh was at it again!

bobh

Awesome haul, bobh. You did a great job capturing the luster and the gorgeous fields on each coin. I especially liked the Morgans and the Walkers. Thanks for sharing.

(A few of your later pics are missing and replaced by the "?")

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome haul, bobh. You did a great job capturing the luster and the gorgeous fields on each coin. I especially liked the Morgans and the Walkers. Thanks for sharing.

(A few of your later pics are missing and replaced by the "?")

Thanks for the nice feedback! :ninja: I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of my new Nikon D60 w/ macro lens.

I don't see any missing images here on my computer ... however, my web hosting service is sometimes a little slow, and the pictures are a little large. Just try to refresh your browser by hitting CTRL-R.

• 7 months later...
Love the 2 cent and Hawaiian. About a 64 maybe 65? Never really have looked at grading them.

The Hawaiian quarter is in a NGC holder (MS-65).

Thanks for looking! :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Just got back from a vacation trip to visit some of my wife's relatives in California. Also visited some friends in San Francisco.

The last time we went there was in 2005, and I had just gotten into collecting again after a long time. My Indian Head cent collection was miniscule at the time, and i wasn't sure I wanted to do the whole series by date and MM. so I wasn't really into buying key dates for that series yet. However, one of our friends in SF used to be an avid coin collector, but mostly other stuff. She had some things she had inherited from her granddad as well as her father. I noticed this coin in her collection, and decided that I wanted to buy it after all. She still had it (even after I told her what it was probably worth back then), and she agreed to sell it to me.

I won't say what I payed her for it, but I gave her a good price which was somewhat less than I think it might get after being slabbed:

USA_Indian_Cent_1877_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1877_rev.jpg

(Do I hear F-12 from anyone? :ninja: )

Also picked up two or three other IHC from Witter Coins -- a small but well-stocked coin shop on S. Market St. Saw some great theater and had some good food as well as a great time with our friends! All in all, it was an awesome trip (although I did end up doing a lot of driving which I'm not used to after living in Zurich for the last 20 years -- we own no car here, and get along fine without one).

The 1877 looks like a great purchase. Glad you had a nice trip. I always enjoyed visiting SF. It's such an exciting city.

• 2 months later...

Some stuff piled up in the meantime. Here's an update:

1864 - 2 cents, large motto:

USA_2_Cents_1864_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_2_Cents_1864_rev.thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of coins that just happen to have a ship as motive:

1920 - 50c commemorative "Pilgrim":

There's no "X" on the collar on this one ...

USA_50c_Commem_Pilgrim_1920_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Commem_Pilgrim_1920_rev.thumb.jpg

1893 - 50c commemorative "Columbian Exposition"

This one has awesome toning:

USA_50c_Commem_Columbian_Expo_1893_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Commem_Columbian_Expo_1893_rev.thumb.jpg

1866 - Indian Cent

Filling in some of the missing years:

USA_Indian_Cent_1866_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Indian_Cent_1866_rev.thumb.jpg

Shawnee Tribe silver dollars:

After picking up 2002 and 2003 issues on eBay about 4 years ago, I never saw them offered again. I liked them so much that I decided to order the others from Panda America. One of them arrived as proof (should have been BU matte like the others, but I decided to keep it anyway):

Link: http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/usa-...m-modern-indian

Enjoy! :art:

• 1 month later...

Some coins from the recent Künker and Gorny & Mosch sales:

RUSSIA: Alexander I, 5 kopecks 1804-EM (ex Gorny & Mosch 183, lot 7560 - Tom Willy Bakken collection sale):

RUSSIA_5_Kopeek_1804_EM_ex_TWB_rev.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopeek_1804_EM_ex_TWB_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Kopeek_1804_EM_ex_TWB_obv.thumb.jpg

HAWAII: 1/2 dollar, 1883 (ex Künker auction 159, lot 2290):

HAWAII_50_cents_1883_obv.thumb.jpgHAWAII_50_cents_1883_rev.thumb.jpg

USA: 50 cent commemorative "Oregon Trail" 1937-D (ex Gorny & Mosch 182, lot 5658):

USA_50_cent_Commem_Oregon_Trail_1937_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cent_Commem_Oregon_Trail_1937_D_rev.thumb.jpg

:ninja:

The Russian looks like a checkers chip.

The Hawaiian is handsom.

And I thought you already had an Oregon Trail commem.

Thanks for sharing!

And I thought you already had an Oregon Trail commem.

I did already have a 1926-S, which is the most common date (83,055 struck). But there were 14 different date/MM combinations of the type issued total. 1937-D was the only one for that year, and only 12,008 were minted. Had this crazy idea of completing a PDS set for at least one of the less common years. Since the D mint was the only one for 1937, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to complete the set for that year! :ninja: But I'm still looking for nice ones.

I am very happy to have the Russian coin because it belonged to Tom Willy Bakken who co-authored the supplement to the Brekke catalog in 1997. These are very hard to find in higher grades, as most older Russian coins are.

The Hawaiian series is also very short; the silver coins were minted in 1883 only. I already have a nice quarter in MS-65 and a dime in F/VF. The silver dollars are not that hard to find, but are very expensive in high grades (as are the one cent issues of 1847). So I got the easy ones first!

Thanks for your comments, folks! :ninja:

I almost forgot about these two ... having been to Ecuador a few times in the past, I was intrigued by the image of Señor Sucre who seems to have sported Elvis-like sideburns about 100 years before they were in fashion! The 2 decimos is fairly common, but according to the Krause catalog, the 1 decimo of 1884 is not common at all. The fact that the 1914 2 decimos was minted in Lima, Peru is also intriguing considering that Ecuador and Peru have most definitely NOT been the friendliest of neighbors, even until our present day.

Also interesting about the reverse design is the ax-like thing (can't remember what it is called) which was also used for the USA Mercury dimes reverse, but only several years later.

2 Decimos, 1914 - Lima

ECUADOR_2_Decimos_1914_obv.thumb.jpgECUADOR_2_Decimos_1914_rev.thumb.jpg

1 Decimo, 1884 - Birmingham

ECUADOR_1_Decimo_1884_obv.thumb.jpgECUADOR_1_Decimo_1884_rev.thumb.jpg

The thing that looks like a bunch of sticks tied together with an axe head attached is a fasces...there's more about it here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces#Origin_and_symbolism

A lot of countries have used the fasces on their coinage. I believe that I've seen it on 18th or 19th century French coins as well as some from San Marino and Italy.

The thing that looks like a bunch of sticks tied together with an axe head attached is a fasces...there's more about it here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces#Origin_and_symbolism

A lot of countries have used the fasces on their coinage. I believe that I've seen it on 18th or 19th century French coins as well as some from San Marino and Italy.

Very interesting article, Blackhawk! Symbolizes "Strength in unity", and of Roman origin ... I can see how it would appeal to many different countries as a design.

Thanks! :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Some of these have been accumulating at my Mom's in Texas. Just got back from a trip there, and here are some of the coins I was able to take back with me. Others which I won from Heritage auctions are still there, so I am using the Heritage images for those until I can get them to Switzerland:

RUSSIA

Denga, 1730 (Oops, I forgot to photograph the edge!):

RUSSIA_Denga_1730_rev.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_Denga_1730_obv.thumb.jpg

Denga, 1752 (tough year):

RUSSIA_Denga_1752_rev.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_Denga_1752_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_Denga_1752_obv.thumb.jpg

More in next post...

USA

1953-P Washington-Carver 50c commemorative (in a PCGS old green rattler slab, MS-63):

USA_50_cent_Commem_GWC_1953_P_obv.thumb.jpegUSA_50_cent_Commem_GWC_1953_P_rev.thumb.jpeg

1954 Washington-Carver PDS set (P and D are in NGC slabs graded as MS-64, the S coin is raw):

USA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_P_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_P_rev.thumb.jpg

USA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_D_rev.thumb.jpg

USA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_S_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Wash_Carv_1954_S_rev.thumb.jpg

More coming up...

Booker T. Washington, 1947-D (I think this one might have PVC damage to the obverse):

USA_50c_BTW_1947_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_BTW_1947_D_rev.thumb.jpg

Booker T. Washington, 1948-P (PCGS, MS-65):

USA_50_cent_Commem_BTW_1948_P_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cent_Commem_BTW_1948_P_rev.thumb.jpeg

Buffalo Nickel, 1936-S (PCGS, MS-64):

USA_5_cent_Buffalo_1936_S_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_5_cent_Buffalo_1936_S_rev.thumb.jpg

More in next post...

Love the gold tone on the nickel. Something looks odd in the wreath bow in the 1897. The front loop looks straight on the right side? Almost like a die gouge. But the one they have listed does not look like it. Does the 1879 S have doubling on the 87? I think I see some on the 7.

Edit: I looked at your full size on on your website. (Hope you don't mind.) What I thought I saw in the 1897 wreath thumbnail may just be the lighting.