bobh

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Picked this one up recently on eBay for less than $170 including shipping:

USA Morgan Dollar, 1883-CC in original GSA holder

I thought it was so nice that it arrived yesterday, on July 4th! Living in a foreign country makes one a bit sentimental about such things, I suppose... :ninja:

Nice, :ninja: just wondering have you checked for VAM type yet?

Thanks, Mark -- I haven't checked yet, but I do have the VAM book. Don't know if I will have time before leaving on vacation, though. ;)

Nice piece, really nice when you consider the nice clean fields on it.

Thanks, Scottishmoney! :ninja: It has a fair share of marks on the cheek, so it probably wouldn't grade higher than MS-63 (IMHO). However, the fields are very nice, and it has a lot of luster (the pictures don't do it justice!)

Nice, :ninja: just wondering have you checked for VAM type yet?

Both this coin and the 1884-CC I recently bought are the normal VAM 1 variety, AFAICT.

• 9 months later...

This type has eluded me for a long time. Never saw one that I really liked until now. It's far from being perfect, but it has lots of mint luster and a fairly good strike (good strike is not very common for this type, you know):

1921 Peace dollar (one-year type)

Picked up on eBay for €91 (€101 including shipping). I would estimate the grade of this coin to be at least MS-63, perhaps MS-64 ... any other opinions on grade?

Picked this one up at a local dealer's shop for a little over melt value:

Russia, gold 1979 Chervonets (10 roubles)

Something if you can find in coin dealers inventory, say my local dealer, they will sell for roughly spot price. Otherwise if you goto someone that deals in Russian coins more will sell for far more now. Several months ago I bought a Lev Tolstoy gold medal that was minted ca. 1976 or so and sold through Mezhnumizmatika for spot. I would imagine what it would go for to collectors of such things.

Picked this one up at a local dealer's shop for a little over melt value:

Russia, gold 1979 Chervonets (10 roubles)

Nice!

That is one that I have wanted to get for quite some time. I was tempted when I came across them at some of the banks in Stein am Rhein. That was 2 years ago. Now I wish I had. :ninja:

This type has eluded me for a long time. Never saw one that I really liked until now. It's far from being perfect, but it has lots of mint luster and a fairly good strike (good strike is not very common for this type, you know):

1921 Peace dollar (one-year type)

Picked up on eBay for €91 (€101 including shipping). I would estimate the grade of this coin to be at least MS-63, perhaps MS-64 ... any other opinions on grade?

Bumping this one to the top ... I looked around the Heritage archives for some slabbed Peace 1921's just for comparison's sake; there's mostly MS-64 and above over there, but a few in lower grades as well.

I'd really like to know what others think of this one. It has very nice (to me) even toning, never been cleaned, and only a few marks here and there. Do I hear MS at all on this one? 63? 64? ... ??? :ninja:

As always, thanks for looking! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up all of these during the past week or so:

Peru, 1 Libra:

Peru_1_Libra_1917_obv.sized.jpg

Peru_1_Libra_1917_rev.sized.jpg

Barber dime, 1911-D, in AU (getting harder and harder to find these nowadays in XF or better, IMHO):

Barber_Dime_1911_D_obv.sized.jpg

Barber_Dime_1911_D_rev.sized.jpg

Next, there is a Swiss eBay seller I have dealt with a lot in the past. Although pricing of his coins is sometimes over the top, once in a while there will be a bargain, and I have never been disappointed in the coins once having received them. He had both of these Indian cents (both 1873, close and open 3 varieties) for sale at EF-40 money each -- and they turned out to be very pleasing, problem-free XF-40's (IMHO) :ninja: Here they are:

1873, close 3:

Indian_Cent_1873_close_3_obv.sized.jpg

Indian_Cent_1873_close_3_rev.sized.jpg

1873, open 3:

Indian_Cent_1873_open_3_obv.sized.jpg

Indian_Cent_1873_open_3_rev.sized.jpg

When I received the coins, the label on the holder for the open 3 said "double die, outside legend". Naturally, he didn't try to pass it off as the doubled liberty (which it isn't), but I looked for machine doubling on the legend and could only make out a tiny bit of doubling on the "M" in AMERICA. Does anyone see any doubling there, or anywhere else?

Nice doubling on the year, in particular the number 7 for the Peruvian gold coin, as well as a minor die crack.

Good catch, I hadn't noticed the die crack; I did see the doubling on the top of the "7" right after posting these.

Forgot to mention that there seems to be some die clashes on the dime, too!

Almost forgot about this one:

Russia, 1790-EM, five kopeks (пятак):

Russia_5K_1790_EM_rev.sized.jpg

Russia_5K_1790_EM_obv.sized.jpg

Russia_5K_1790_EM_edge.sized.jpg

Lots of detail. But surfaces look like they might have been treated with lacquer, or some such thing, long ago in the past (maybe it wasn't such a bad idea?)

And this one -- only VF grade (IMHO), but I didn't have one yet and got it for less than VG money:

Indian Cent, 1908-S:

IHC_1908_S_obv.sized.jpg

IHC_1908_S_rev.sized.jpg

Some people might call this XF-40, but I don't think it would grade quite that high.

It's pretty tough building an unslabbed set of these in XF or better (... especially when you live in Switzerland)! I'm still lacking most of the key dates, and there are some coins that don't make the grade. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there. :ninja:

I think I bought a fairly decent '08 S cent several years ago, where it is, I have no idea. That is the lousy thing about having coins in the bank, you never see them. It is why I have a private website so I can visit my lovelies online now.

I am hearing rumblings all through that cents are going to be on the march up in price because of the interests created next year with the commemoratives for Lincoln.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a series that I actively collect, although I do have a few lower-grade Buffalo nickels. But I liked the looks of this one:

USA_Buffalo_Nickel_1935_obv.sized.jpg

USA_Buffalo_Nickel_1935_rev.sized.jpg

There is some very noticeable die polish around "FIVE CENTS" on the reverse.

• 4 months later...

Some of these coins, such as the Russian gold 10 roubles, had been purchased earlier this year and sent to my Mom's address in Texas. I was able to pick them up only last week.

Starting with RUSSIA:

Gold 10 roubles 1909-ЭБ (ex World-Wide Coins of California, Jim Elmen -- mail-bid auction 15 May 2008, lot #312):

Russia_10_Roubles_1909-EB_obv.jpg

Russia_10_Roubles_1909-EB_rev.jpg

Russia_10_Roubles_1909-EB_edge.jpg

Copper: 2 Para 3 Kopeiki, 1773 (coinage for Moldovia and Wallachia)...

This one was cleaned at some time, but has nice detail for the type:

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_obv.jpg

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_rev.jpg

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_edge.jpg

Copper: 5 Kopeek 1788-СПМ ... this was lying around in a coin shop here in Zurich misrepresented as "1788-EM":

Russia_5_Kopeek_1788-SPM_obv.jpg

Russia_5_Kopeek_1788-SPM_rev.jpg

Russia_5_Kopeek_1788-SPM_edge.jpg

(continued with Peru and USA in next post...)

PERU:

Gold 1 Libra 1912:

Peru_1_Libra_1912_obv.jpg

Peru_1_Libra_1912_rev.jpg

USA:

Starting with Morgans, here's a nice 1878-S I picked up from a local Swiss dealer on eBay:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878-S_ex_MB_obv.jpg

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878-S_ex_MB_rev.jpg

This 1902-O I bought at a coin shop in Bryan, TX:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1902-O_obv.jpg

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1902-O_rev.jpg

Next, a couple of nice Walkers also bought in Texas (different shops):

Walker 50 c. 1943

USA_Walker_50_cents_1943_obv.jpg

USA_Walker_50_cents_1943_rev.jpg

Walker 50 c. 1945

USA_Walker_50_cents_1945_obv.jpg

USA_Walker_50_cents_1945_rev.jpg

(continued in next post ... Mercury dime, and some IHC...)

A nice Mercury dime (for $2, who could resist a coin like this?

... not sure if it would grade "FB" or not, but it certainly comes close IMHO):

USA_Mercury_Dime_1944-D_obv.jpg

USA_Mercury_Dime_1944-D_rev.jpg

Finally, some semi-keys for my Indian Head cent collection ... trying to build a set in XF or better:

1859:

USA_Indian_Cent_1859_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1859_rev.jpg

1864-L:

USA_Indian_Cent_1864-with-L_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1864-with-L_rev.jpg

1878:

USA_Indian_Cent_1878_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1878_rev.jpg

1887 - relatively common, but a nice coin here:

USA_Indian_Cent_1887_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1887_rev.jpg