CoinPeople.com

President dollar coin release dates.

Dockwalliper

The origional version of the bill did mandate that all Government agencies activly distribute the new dollar coins. The mandate didn't survive to the final version. It was replaced with this....

``(p) REMOVAL OF BARRIERS TO CIRCULATION OF $1 COIN.--

``(1) ACCEPTANCE BY AGENCIES AND INSTRUMENTALITIES.--

Beginning January 1, 2006, all agencies and instrumentalities

of the United States, the United States Postal Service, all

nonappropriated fund instrumentalities established under title

10, United States Code, all transit systems that receive oper-

ational subsidies or any disbursement of funds from the Federal

Government, such as funds from the Federal Highway Trust

Fund, including the Mass Transit Account, and all entities

that operate any business, including vending machines, on any

premises owned by the United States or under the control

of any agency or instrumentality of the United States, including

the legislative and judicial branches of the Federal Government,

shall take such action as may be appropriate to ensure that

by the end of the 2-year period beginning on such date--

``(A) any business operations conducted by any such

agency, instrumentality, system, or entity that involve coins

or currency will be fully capable of accepting and dispensing

$1 coins in connection with such operations; and

``(B ) displays signs and notices denoting such capability

on the premises where coins or currency are accepted or

dispensed, including on each vending machine.

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I too am excited about the new Presidential dollars.

It will circulate to some extent, but not very well until the $1 note is eliminated, if ever.

The new coin will be a "cash cow" for the mint, just as the Statehood Quarters are now.

By the way, can anybody explain to me where the date will be located on the new coins. I've seen drawings of what the coins will look like, however the drawings don't show a date.

:ninja:;););)

can anybody explain to me where the date will be located on the new coins. I've seen drawings of what the coins will look like, however the drawings don't show a date.

Guess those drawings don't show the edge. :ninja: From the US Mint's website: the new Presidential $1 coins will feature larger, more dramatic artwork, as well as edge-incused inscriptions of the year of minting or issuance, "E Pluribus Unum," "In God We Trust" and the mint mark.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/

Christian

Thanks Tabbs, I appreciate the information.

:ninja:;););)

• 2 weeks later...

Ta-daa. Here they are:

http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs...4Presidents.jpg

(Hmm, "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed"?? Well, then click the link.)

The US Mint's web site also has nicely done animation showing the edge lettering:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint%5Fprograms/%241...#036;1coinFlash

As for the designs, well, these are just the "line art" versions, so the final pieces will have a somewhat different look. But these drawings look fine to me - and I like the Liberty on the other side. :ninja:

Christian

I like them. I think the edge lettering will catch the eye of many would-be and novice collectors. It should make a natural path for all those who have started with the Statehood Quarters.

It should make a natural path for all those who have started with the Statehood Quarters.

Possibly so. Don't know how many SQ collectors started by picking them up from circulation though. Now that would be tough with these Presidential Dollars ...

What I really like about the PDs is, they are not as "verbose" as most other US circulation coins. Two mottos move to the edge, one is represented by Lady Liberty - and, o-ho, they are finally able to put a "1" instead of a "ONE" on a coin. :ninja:

Now the year I would have preferred to see on either the obverse or the reverse, but that is just a minor issue. All in all, these changes allow for designs that are not too busy. And Liberty almost reaching to the very edge looks just great.

Christian

I probably will not collect them, I lost interest in the SQ's a couple of years ago. But I might have some fun and get them at the bank and give them to the chicks at Taco Bell to weird them out. :ninja:

I was thinking the same thing, though I hardly ever spend cash in small quantiites any more it'll be hard to get of the coins.

Wow. I just looked at the mint's website at the design proposed for GWashington. To be blunt, I think they're ugly. I haven't been part of the threads about this topic at all because I hadn't seen designs and whatnot.

I am excited for the edge lettering. Never been around that before.

I'm looking forward to the new dollars. I see from a few websites that Dansco has already announced their Dollar albums. I think they'll make a cool collection. I personally plan to get a bunch from the bank and spend them.

Perhaps it's time to spend some $2 bills again as well. Good Christmas time tip material.

I'm looking forward to the new dollars. I see from a few websites that Dansco has already announced their Dollar albums. I think they'll make a cool collection. I personally plan to get a bunch from the bank and spend them.

Perhaps it's time to spend some $2 bills again as well. Good Christmas time tip material.

I plan to do the same. Can't wait.

First US issues I have been excited about since my huge disappointment with the crappy new buffalo nickels...

I think they look good and I plan to go ahead and get a whole set...I will also see about getting some and spending them...get them circulated :ninja:

Archived