CoinPeople.com

President dollar coin release dates.

Dockwalliper

Is there any word whether proof sets will be released containing the dollars for the year as they have been doing with the state quarters? Or will the proofs be packaged individually?

I'm excited about these. I think they'll be fun. And a new Dansco will be in order. Full set including proofs for me. (Wonder if they're going to do satin finished for the Unc Sets).

I'm excited about these. I think they'll be fun. And a new Dansco will be in order. Full set including proofs for me. (Wonder if they're going to do satin finished for the Unc Sets).

I'm just looking forward to the edge.......it's been what.....since 1933 that we've had that!?

I'm just looking forward to the edge.......it's been what.....since 1933 that we've had that!?

Yessssssss!!

That is the only aspect of this program that hold any of my interest.

Are these coins depicting Presidents of America going to be found in circulation?

They are circulation coins in the sense of not being big silver $1 commems. Now whether the Americans will actually use them to a greater extent than they use the SBA and Sac dollars remains to be seen. But the fact that the US government continues to make low value notes may indicate the answer ... :ninja:

Christian

These I'm actually somewhat looking forward too. Something a bit different and interesting. Hopefully the designs on paper transfer well to the coin *crosses fingers*. I may just get a Dansco for these!

• 1 month later...

Someone, well it was me, had a question if the mint had planned to go through with striking bronze versions of the first lady gold eagles.

The answer comes from a new posting on the US mint website.

"The United States Mint will also strike bronze medals that bear the likenesses of these coins."

Thanks for the info United States Mint!

wondering if I will ever be able to pick any up out of circulation

Good luck. We're talking about American 1 dollar coins, right? :ninja:

But the series sounds interesting. Will most probably get them ... but not from circulation anyway.

Christian

Supposedly, the gov't is going to mandate that they are available for circulation in federal places, at least that was in early legislation, I believe. Since I work on a AF base, I might see a few. Then again, maybe not. :ninja:

I did hear a rumor the other day that the post offices are doing away with their stamp machines. That is where I usually the only place I see dollar coins so that stream might have dried up.

The rumor is true, the Post Office is getting rid of the vending machines so that will remove a major source of supply for the small dollars.

In the 10/23 Coin World was something that convinces me that the President dollars may be even a worse failure than the Sac was.

Director of the Mint Edmund Moy is discussing means of getting the new dollars out into circulation. He mentions concerns over hoarding and states that when the Wal-Mart program distributed 94 million Sac dollars in Jan of 2000 a great many of them were hoarded by collectors or the public and not put back into circulation. They would have to make sure that they didn't do anything like that again.

WHAT!!! That one program got more of the dollars into more peoples hands and did more for familiarizing the public with the new dollar than ANYTHING else that they ever did. And it didn't really cost the government anything. (Unlike the $60 million they spent on TV ads which really did little or nothing.) Of course they were hoarded, you put out a new coin that no one has ever seen before and the cashiers tell them Wal-Mart is only going to be distributing them for a month and of course people hoarded them. I talked to a lot of the cashiers at the local Wal-Mart and heard them talking to customers and telling them it was something special and would only be available for one month. For the Wal-Mart promotion to have really worked they should have continued it for a year not a month. That would have given people time to get used to the coin and to realize that it WASN'T some special issue.

So now no Post Office, and no Walmart type distibution. That gets rid of the first and third largest distribution sources.

Then there are a couple of their ideas to help prevent hoarding. Distribute the coins in smaller rolls than normally used for the denominations and limit the number of coins distributed to the financial institutions. And finally make those rolls that are distributed unmixed rolls during the early distribution of each president.

So if I want to get the latest issue I can get a solid roll at the bank, but it will be a smaller roll and only IF the bank has been allowed to have them. (sarcasm on) "Yep, sure sounds like a great way to get them in circulation and prevent hoarding to me." (sarcasm off) Can someone explain to me how restricting distribution will encourage circulation?

People are going to save the first ones they get no matter what. The way to get them into circulation is to get that 2nd , 3rd ,4th coin into those peoples hands. Walmat had a limit of one coin pre cutsomer. They need to flood the market with dollar coins, not limit distribution. Someone needs to kick Moy in the butt.

I read on the mint website that there will be companion gold coins with the first ladies to accompany this:

" Other Components of the Act

In addition to its recognition of the Presidents on $1 coins, the United States is honoring the First Spouses through the issuance of uncirculated and proof one-half ounce 24-karat gold $10 coins emblematic of the spouse of each President during that President’s term of service. The United States Mint will issue these coins under the same yearly release schedule as their corresponding Presidential $1 coins. These 24-karat gold coins generally will have an obverse image of the First Spouse and a reverse image symbolic of that particular First Spouse’s life and work. The United States Mint will also strike bronze medals that bear the likenesses of these coins. The law calls for alternative designs to ensure program continuity through periods in which the President served without a spouse. The Act also calls for the production and release of 24-karat American Buffalo Gold Bullion Coins as well as a redesign of the one-cent coin in 2009 to commemorate the bicentennial of President Abraham Lincoln’s birth. "

Supposedly, the gov't is going to mandate that they are available for circulation in federal places, at least that was in early legislation, I believe. Since I work on a AF base, I might see a few. Then again, maybe not. :ninja:

this would be cool .. i work at a va medical center so if this holds up i might get some at the canteen ...

Archived