CoinPeople.com

Bill or Coin??

Coinjoe2006

AWACS

Really the only real Facts that can be brought is the failure of the SB and the Sac dollar .

I do not see Government estimates as evidence!!!

its really clear that most folks dont really like the Idea, maybe the Government ought to listen to the people and quit trying to shove it down our throats.

Rick

To be fair what really doesn't help the coin case there is the Government picked two complete duds design wise. The SBA's lack something and the Sacs are plain ugly and to make matters worse they were struck in an unsuitable alloy that just tones 'yeuk'.

If they introduced a nice coin design and stuck with it then it might have worked.

Of course constantly changing designs does not help the coin case in any way, shape or form. I think this Presidential series will be a total failure too. People like what they are familiar with. The President series with it rotations will just add a further feel of instability to the whole concept of a dollar coin.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think a change is a bad thing and my comment on forward thinking is not a positive but a negative !!

I dont think the design had all that much to do with the failure of the SBA and the Sac dollar.it for sure was some of the problem ,but it really goes deeper than that, People do not trust that it is not a first step toward an alliance with the EU and a euro type of system,, our dollars are already tied to tightly to the euro for the comfort zone of a lot of folks.

which in conversations with real people in real places seems to be more of a problem than what a Government survey on estimated tax dollar savings can overcome. especially since everyone knows that we will never see a red cent of savings on our taxes.

I agree that the rotating pres dollar will be even worse,, along with the above, the country is way to politically divided for such a coin .

Rick

metalman you just proved one of my points (re-US attitudes-thanks), and trust me, I've talked to more Americans, and travelled to more of America, than you could ever hope to (and I could prove it but I digress again). I say that not, again, to be a dick, but to just state a fact as you seem to show yourself as some crusader against the false "new world order". YOu are not the only one to "talk" to American's, see America, and be their spokesman...

And it is not just GAO surveys, but in various media outlets. The SAC is not a failure in that is filling its niche. If the pure goal was to "replace" the dollar then yes it failed, but that was never the full goal and congress knew it. Some wanted it to be, but congress never went through with dollar bill withdrawl.

I never said the tax savings would be given back to you, per se, but if they are spent on something else, than that is good as my taxes are not raised. I am glad you finally understand where the savings come from at least, that is progress.

But here you go with this EU nonsense, they are two seperate issues. Having a dollar coin in no way ties our money more or less to any int'l market, in fact the Dollar coin takes our money out of some int'l circulation. Several countries use our currency as legal tender, (Panama, Equador, Liberia etc). You are again tying two things together with no proof, facts, and just weak conjecture.

The failure of the SBA has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, other than in design and marketing lessons learned. The FACTS I stated above still stand. You might continue to ignore them, but that just shows a weakness in your already tangential arguement.

aethling, do not get me started on the weights and measure issue ;-)

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

In my humble opinion the dollar coin can and would succeed IF the Federal government would FORCE the banking industry to call them out from the Fed. The only way our banks, in this area, would do so is if they were to face fines for NOT supplying the coins to the populace. Until that time the dollar coin is doomed as the banking industry is the culprit here, not the individual. Coins involve labor costs to the banks, which they do NOT want and then there is the weight factor, rolling, counting and storing. Until Uncle Sam forces the dollar coin it will never be available in this area! Thats a fact! You can blame anyone or thing you would like but it is NOT that people won't use them! They can't get them! :ninja:

...and now , I watch as the EU developed, and put in place a type of currency designed with no reflection upon History and Individuality of nations, in My own Mind, I do not believe that this is a good thing...

As Europe has never had a common currency as such, where would you have them start? Do you think that everyone would have been satisfied calling it a Franc, Mark, or Lira? Of course the name of the currency had to be new and universal for the nations involved. As for the reflection upon history, please look at some of the designs and you will see that some go back thousands of years.

I am not a €uro fanatic, but I do not see it as the boogeyman either as some claim it to be. It is merely an attempt to rationalize trade and commerce between many close and already highly interdependent nations. (Whether it was the best model implemented is open to debate.) If I may direct you to the front section of your Redbook, you will find coinage of numerous US states there. Now try and imagine a system where each state developed its own currency and what it would be like today. Imagine the hassle for a company in Georgia doing cross-border business in Florida: paper work, fluctuating exchange rates, Florida demonitizes to make its goods cheaper, etc. etc.

I would think that the €uro is more of a compliment to the American system of interstate commerce rather than something that the US has to fear. Think of it this way, our €uros are similar to your state quarters; each state/country has its heritage represented, while the Washington/common side represents what the average citizen is trying to do------just make a buck/euro.

metalman you just proved one of my points (re-US attitudes-thanks), and trust me, I've talked to more Americans, and travelled to more of America, than you could ever hope to (and I could prove it but I digress again). I say that not, again, to be a dick, but to just state a fact as you seem to show yourself as some crusader against the false "new world order". YOu are not the only one to "talk" to American's, see America, and be their spokesman...

And it is not just GAO surveys, but in various media outlets.  The SAC is not a failure in that is filling its niche. If the pure goal was to "replace" the  dollar then yes it failed, but that was never the full goal and congress knew it.  Some wanted it to be, but congress never went through with dollar bill withdrawl.

I never said the tax savings would be given back to you, per se, but if they are spent on something else, than that is good as my taxes are not raised. I am glad you finally understand where the savings come from at least, that is progress.

But here you go with this EU nonsense, they are two seperate issues. Having a dollar coin in no way ties our money more or less to any int'l market, in fact the Dollar coin takes our money out of some int'l circulation. Several countries use our currency as legal tender, (Panama, Equador, Liberia etc).  You are again tying two things together with no proof, facts, and just weak conjecture.

The failure of the SBA has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, other than in design and marketing lessons learned.  The FACTS I stated above still stand. You might continue to ignore them, but that just shows a weakness in your already tangential arguement.

aethling, do not get me started on the weights and measure issue ;-)

Capt-AWACS, Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

All Right ! then suppose you educate me beyond a tax savings this has been your only arguement, I mean besides judgeing all of my weaknesses !! ,,why are the coins a better deal ?

Rick

Just go back and read the forum from page 3 on, there are plenty of reasons listed, did you not see them? As an aside I am still waiting for any purported link in all of these gov't conspiracies you speak of in relation to dollar coins and the new world currency order, and how the coin takes my rights away. If you can't find any again, I will humbly spell it out again. Though saving 20-30 Million minimum a year in taxes a great reason in and of itself. This might not sound like much but it is huge, and this is coming from someone like myself who has broken more in "tax payer" funded items than most of us pay in a year combined. Is it a cure all, no but it is coming. And the design issues you note, like the Presdetial dollar are more numismatic goals IMO than cirucalting ones, and I am sure the final version of the bill will reflect that, but one never knows with line item tag ons.

Sisu, good post BTW.

Capt-AWACS, I've been called worse

we should stop using the dollar bill altogether and just use dollar coins. we could call these new and improved dollar coins "new dollars". after the public complains loud enough, we switch back to the old paper dollars (u.s. dollars classic), and everybody lives happily ever after.