Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo! I got my notes from the Cayman Islands today! It's definitely worth getting them from the Central Bank.... I had to wait just under 2 months to get them, but the cost savings was worth it. The service was pretty good too. Let me know when they shipped it and was sent Registered mail and packaged very good.

amwmdf.jpg

I went to the ANDA Coin & Banknote show in Melbourne today and must say I think I did quite well for myself, focusing on international notes.

Here is my bounty for the day

Hong Kong - current series HSBC notes.

HK500.jpg

HK1000.jpg

New Zealand

NZP5.jpg

NZ10.jpg

Albania

ALBANIA50LEKE.jpg

Nice notes, like the Jamaica, the HK, the Caymans etc.

Guatemala ~ Banco Occidente de Quetzaltenango

guatemalaoccidente5pesos1918dtl.jpg

guatemalaoccidente5pesos1918.jpg

Sweden ~ Bohus Läns Enskilda Bank 10 Kronor 1879

swedenbohus10kr1879dtl.jpg

swedenbohus10kr1879.jpg

Bohus Läns is a province in western Sweden, and was formerly part of the Kingdom of Norway, it's principal city is Uddevalla. This region was well known for herring fisheries during the 18th and 19th centuries, but light industry made inroads during the late 19th century. During the 19th century Swedish commercial banks issued their own notes, a privilege that existed until very early in the 20th century. This note was issued by Bohus Läns Enskilda Bank in Uddevalla and is notable for having been printed by Waterlow and Son's Engravers in London.

Sweden 10 Kronor 1968

sweden10kronur1968dtl.jpg

sweden10kronur1968.jpg

Sweden has the unique distinction in Europe of having issued the first paper money in 1661 from Stockholms Banco in Stockholm. Curiously this first issue of paper money ominously foretold a situation common with banknote issues from there onwards - the bank failed in 1664. In 1668 the charter for the bank was passed onto Riksens Ständers Bank but this bank did not issue banknotes, but being authorised by the Swedish parliament, essentially acted as the central bank for the Swedish government. In reality though, legally the bank was not recognised as the central bank of Sweden until legislation was passed in 1897, which also resulted in granting the privilege of banknote issue solely to the newly named Sveriges Riksbank.

This commemorative note from 1968 commemorated the 300 anniversary of the charter of this bank - the figure of Svea representing the spirit of Sweden and she has traditionally appeared on Swedish banknotes. This note is enclosed in a commemorative folder, which is the reason the image is a bit off.

USA US Military Payment Certificate $5 Series 692

usampc5dollars692dtl.jpg

usampc5dollars692.jpg

A now very scarce denomination especially in crisp uncirculated, this note has as it's main vignette Eve by engraver Edward R. Felver, and the reverse elk is conjectured to have been engraved by Len Buckley.

It's interesting to note that the 250 ruble note on the previous page of posts has a swastika on the reverse! (I've had one for quite some number of years.) It was issued by the Provisional government in 1917, well before the Nazis stole the symbol. Before it got trashed by association with them it was a "good luck" sign, originating in India (though I've also seen it on American "Indian" petroglyphs). There is a town in Ontario by the name of Swastika, founded in 1908, and they refuse to change the name, despite a lot of pressure from the provincial government in WWII and derision today. I rather admire that, actually: It's not their fault the symbol was so famously misused. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario