CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Well, I kinda' stumbled onto this and I hemmed and hawed over it for a while and then I went ahead and got it. I'm pretty happy with this note and it's vignettes. The Union Military Scrip was issued to pay for damages inflicted by Confederate Maj. General Sterling Price, who had been directed to Missouri, but had continued further into Kansas, and later into Arkansas. His damages from what were known as the Price Raid, were paid by the government via these scrip which were issued in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 1000 dollars.

This is the only type of payment I am aware of in which the government issued payment in like manner. I am not currently aware of how these were dispersed.

35hoawp.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like those post-Civil War era notes, so cool.

BTW I retired six, yup six red seal deuces from my bank today - one '28-G, four 1953's, and a well beaten up 1963.

Six Reds?????? Man, that's lucky indeed. I used to ask around at different banks here, but they all told me the same thing. They have no need to order new currency due to people recycling their notes, and as for older currency, there simply isn't any. Of course I can think of only one "old" bank here too.... all the others are strip mall types or too new to have any older money in them I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on the neat find!

Six Reds?????? Man, that's lucky indeed. I used to ask around at different banks here, but they all told me the same thing. They have no need to order new currency due to people recycling their notes, and as for older currency, there simply isn't any. Of course I can think of only one "old" bank here too.... all the others are strip mall types or too new to have any older money in them I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on the neat find!

Should have seen what I got at another bank today - a Fed bag of nickels with cool treasures - will enumerate all of the goodies and report in the coin thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it took about three months to get here, but I don't care! Because I got them at face value from the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority, and they have matching serial numbers. Yeah ME! :banana:

part 1:

933819A.jpg

933819B.jpg

933818A.jpg

933818B.jpg

933817A.jpg

933817B.jpg

Wow MMMM! Great notes - but three months! I've ordered a set as well (after saying I wouldn't), and I've got about two and a half months to wait - Oh, the agony! Well, thanks for saying how long it took, I'd be besides myself otherwise :unsure: :unsure:

Well, I can look at your scans until then. Those are beautiful notes, MMMM - Congrtatulations!!!!

This is my Lucky week. This just came in the mail. I wonder who drew the lion. Does anyone know? Did they do other notes as well?

933835B.jpg

933835A.jpg

It is the loveliest banknote ever created by Bank of England, a true classic that replaced the classic "white fiver".

JT, I just went through $500 worth of 1934s the other day. I bought enough that I ended up spending off several of my 1950 dated notes. I wish I could find more of the 1928 FRNs, but I do occasionally find the red seal deuces from 1928 at my banks.

BTW I am looking for the wrappers you sent me for the Ike dollars, I churned up a bunch more of those too.

Huh, I had no idea the FRNs ever were redeemable for gold!

Yes, they were redeemable in gold until all the gold was withdrawn and FDR devalued the dollar. So any before series 1934 will say that the note is redeemable in gold or lawful money, etc.

Picked up a set of 3 x consecutive serials 1966 Coombs/Wilson $20 ("EXAMPLE" on pic is a post scan edit I did, not part of the actual notes)

consec20.jpg

These are pretty cool notes. I like the various guilloche designs on the face. Looks like diagrams of tears in Space-Time.