CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

nice see

got this today from exchanging dollars to lempira for a vacation to central america

1 Lempira serial is CD8888888 1st de Septembre 1997 UNC

and from yesterday from coin show

Bahamas 1 Dollar W/1 606606 and W/1 666666 crappy notes the sreials say it all

there is more coming

Wow...Solids from Bahamas..pretty scarce. Never seen one before. If only you can find a 555555 for my collection. What is "1 Lempira" denomination ? From which country in Central America ?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice, is it De La Rue?

Not sure. I don't see any small print on the notes. I just notice that even though both Macau notes were dated on 9 Dec 1991, one of the signature are different.

nice see

got this today from exchanging dollars to lempira for a vacation to central america

1 Lempira serial is CD8888888 1st de Septembre 1997 UNC

and from yesterday from coin show

Bahamas 1 Dollar W/1 606606 and W/1 666666 crappy notes the sreials say it all

there is more coming

Back into collecting again DF? What happened with selling?

Got this in today: 1934 $10 Dallas Branch with Light Green Seal - a key combination. I was pretty lucky on this one. It's one of those things that you weren't expecting to get but was not able to pass up on the chance.

i25577.jpg

Beautiful and a classic. ;):ninja:

mexicocoahuila5dtl1.jpg

Coahuila is a Mexican state that is just to the south of the US state of Texas, in fact Texas was originally part of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas until Texas split off and became an independent republic in 1835. The largest city and capital city is Saltillo, and the region is known for mining and more recently manufacturing of automobiles. El Banco de Coahuila engaged American Banknote Company of New York to print this lovely series of banknotes ca. 1910. This note features Ceres as an allegory of agriculture. Curiously this vignette was also used on several Ecuadorian 5 Sucres notes, and a Russian 100 Ruble note in 1918.

mexicocoahuila5.jpg

mexicocoahuila5dtl2.jpg

Like all private bank issues from Mexico, the bank was made to stop issuing it's own currency when the Mexican Revolution engulfed all of Mexico, and the issues of paper money were made a privilege of Banco de Mexico exclusively beginning in 1920.

And there are several more recent Mexican acquisitions here:

More Mexican Acquisitions

Nice HK note See, it has to be one of the last dated notes with the Bradbury imprint on it.

Thanks for the comment and info. The note is still in HK and should be on the way. More than twenty years ago, I have a similiar piece with a much sought after solid 8s. I kept for a few months before I sold it away gaining a profit of $150 SGD. Not a bad investment back then. This piece will stay in my collection for a very long time. :ninja:

Here is the catalog start bid price for a Macau 1991 $1000 solid 888888 selling for SGD$6000 in the coming Monetarium Singapore Coin and Banknote auctions on 17 Oct 2009. I have two similiar pieces in solid 333333 and 555555. The question is whether can they sell at $6000 SGD ?

MonetariumAuction17Oct09-4.jpg

I love em'.

If Zim wasn't such a real disaster, it would make a great comedy TV show.

I had to get some as well, my mind has trouble with that many zero's.

I scored some old and interesting paper bits from India recently,

I would say the condition is PGN, pretty good nick. :ninja:

Oh Ok then, they appear to be in uncirculated but aged condition.

TN_India1Anna-Sailana-PickS431a-001a2.JPG

This is a WW2 issue cardboard coin, 1 Anna.

I guess there was a shortage of copper for such things.

The next note is from a series, that I don't have all of yet.

A little information about these was on the auction ad.

TN_indian5rupeeJaipurStateJawaharlalNehru-001a.JPG

India Jaipur Princely State

Jawaharlal Nehru 5 rupees

Smarak Kosh.

Jawaharlal Nehru was a great Indian statesman.

I'm not sure what Smarak Kosh refers to. ;)

The bigger pics are here, they are both on the same page.

Old Indian paper currency

I am hoping that there might be a wonderful resource somewhere for some more of the history on these.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

The first item in your post certainly a genuine item. The definitive reference for any India notes and other related items (e.g. the cash coupon above) is the Standard Reference Guide to Indian Paper Money by Kishore Jhunjhunwala. Here is a brief excerpt from the book (slightly paraphrased)

"During WW II as British faced reverses, there was a severe shortage of metallic supplies and small change was hit worst. In response, many small Princely states issued coupons to replace low denomination coins. Although some have questioned their legality, they were indeed state issued and appropriately regulated as would normal currency. They were widely circulated and remained possibly current from 1941 till 1946."

The second one is definitely not a currency item, although it quite possibly can be a collectible in its own right. It is a fundraising ticket for a Nehru Memorial - Smarak is Hindi for memorial and Kosh literally means treasury. Nehru died in 1964, while India became independent in 1947. Independent India's currency was first issued in 1949, so this is clearly not currency.

Hope this helps.

- Balaji