CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Im back after a sad month and traveling around Florida during Spring Training.

The sad part was I had to put my printer and scanner out to pasture they stopped working. ;);)

My new toy does everything Print copy scan fax, lightscribe cd and dvd's

The other half i'm a big red sox fan so ifollewed the team and STAYED away from the "EVIL EMPIRE" compound the :ninja: yankees in tampa and their leader "DARTH" Dameon

Latest additions are

Ukraine Uruguay Vanuatu Venzeula Vietnam (North and South) WEst African States Samoa Yemen

And a History of YugoSlavia through backnotes (still working on it 50 notes)

Anyone where i get my paws on some Euros? Besides a bank minimum perchase is 100 USD to their currency. I just need a couple NOT a bundle.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sad part was I had to put my printer and scanner out to pasture they stopped working. ;);)

The other half i'm a big red sox fan so ifollewed the team and STAYED away from the "EVIL EMPIRE" compound the :ninja: yankees in tampa and their leader "DARTH" Dameon

Latest additions are

Ukraine Uruguay Vanuatu Venzeula Vietnam (North and South) WEst African States Samoa Yemen

Anyone where i get my paws on some Euros? Besides a bank minimum perchase is 100 USD to their currency. I just need a couple NOT a bundle.

I was in Fort Myers the week after they left... I was stuck with the Twins. Even worse because I'm a White Sox fan.

Latest additions are

I was able to get mine from a Travelex at the airport. I called ahead and asked what they had, and if they could hold it for me so I could get it. My cost: 30 minutes parking at the airport, the face value of the notes + their commission cost. (I think it was a 5.95 charge, but after I came back a second time, she waived it for me.) I don't know where you are, but the Tampa airport always seems to have an abundance of UNC notes on Mondays.

Busy Month for me. My side job is booming, so I figured why not be nice to myself? Besides, the dollar (US that is) isn't what it used to be, so buy while you can, right?

Some new Venezuelan Bolivars (pegged at 2.15, but black market around 5:1)

IMG_0516.jpg

Some new Saudi low denomination notes

IMG_0517.jpg

New Colombian small size 1000 and 2000 Peso notes

IMG_0518.jpg

Trinidad and Tobago: Small denominations. These photos do not do them justice. I just want to accumulate more of these.

IMG_0519.jpg

Haiti: another place with beautiful notes. They almost feel like canvas paper.

IMG_0520.jpg

The Yuan: Maybe headed for parity someday with the dollar? These were an odd find...at my local flea market we have some chinese merchants who put them out for 2/1.00 US. I managed to haggle them down to 6/1.00 US. At today's close: 6.99:1

IMG_0521.jpg

Malawi: Bundles of 5 and 10 Kwacha

IMG_0522.jpg

Nice heap, looks like my collection when I was buying bundles. It's great to have loads of fairly cheap notes, I love having stacks of the stuff.

I was able to get mine from a Travelex at the airport. I called ahead and asked what they had, and if they could hold it for me so I could get it. My cost: 30 minutes parking at the airport, the face value of the notes + their commission cost. (I think it was a 5.95 charge, but after I came back a second time, she waived it for me.) I don't know where you are, but the Tampa airport always seems to have an abundance of UNC notes on Mondays.

I'm in Melbourne, FL their use to be a place at a shopping mall an AMEX travel agentcy, but it has been shuttered for over a year or so. The nearest is to me is Bank of America and the minimum is $100 USD to currency

nearest to that is orlando airport

netherlands101942dtl.jpg

netherlands101942.jpg

This note was issued because of the Nazi invasion and occupation of Netherlands, the previous 10 Florin note with the vignette of Queen Emma, Queen Mother of Queen Wilhelmina, then in exile in London during the war. This note has a vignette from the painting De Schone Herderin by Dutch master Paulus Moreelse(1571-1638), below is the actual painting from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. This note is P-56b. And the inspiration for the note:

moreelse.jpg

This note is crisp uncirculated and a total PITA to find that way, most of these range from miserable to VF.

netherlands101942dtl.jpg

netherlands101942.jpg

This note was issued because of the Nazi invasion and occupation of Netherlands, the previous 10 Florin note with the vignette of Queen Emma, Queen Mother of Queen Wilhelmina, then in exile in London during the war. ...

This note is crisp uncirculated and a total PITA to find that way, most of these range from miserable to VF.

NICE acquisition Scottishmoney! Great portrait and vignette on that note. :ninja:

Well just picked this 1979 0.10 Fen China Foreign Exchange Certificate up today

The note is in very Fine condition

915576A.jpg

915576B.jpg

That's a cool note. It seems odd to me that they'd have such a low denomination in a foreign exchange certificate. But then, they likely make money on all those people don't bother to use.

nicaragua11938dtl.jpg

nicaragua11938.jpg

Nicaragua introduced the Cordoba denominated currency beginning in 1912, the previous Peso denominated currency had lost value and was called in and exchanged for Cordobas that year. Banco Nacional de Nicaragua had a long relationship with American Banknote Company and had many designs printed by them for their currency. This design with a young miss with a ribbon in her hair, and an exposed chest dates from 1932 and was used through the 1938 series. Curiously this note was used concurrently with another design two women seated on a cliff above the sea. Both notes were replaced with more uniform design beginning in 1941, when dictator Anastasio Somoza's daughter appeared on the 1 Cordoba note. This particular note is P-63.

nicaragua11958dtl.jpg

nicaragua11958.jpg

The basic elements of this design dated to 1941 when it was first used, their being printed by American Banknote in New York. This note is one of the few with an allegorical female that was later revealed to be an actual person, in this case Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza's daughter, Lillian Ada de la Cruz Somoza Debayle. When the note was first printed in 1941 she was a 20 year old. The design lasted for nearly 20 years, going through some minor changes, notably when it was later printed by Thomas De La Rue in London towards the end of the 1950's and very early 1960's. Lillian Ada de la Cruz Somoza Debayle would later marry Guillermo Sevilla Sacasa, a longtime Nicaraguan ambassador to Washington until the Somoza regime was toppled by the Sandinistas in 1979. Lillian Somoza de Sevilla Sacasa died at age 82 in Washington DC in 2003. This note is P-99a.

syria1001962dtl.jpg

syria1001962.jpg

Syrian paper money dates to 1919 when it was first issued during the French mandate. Syria became fully independent in 1944. Until 1958 banknotes issued in the country had Arabic on the front of the note, and French on the reverse. With the formation of the United Arab Republic with Egypt in 1958, Syria issued a whole new series of banknotes, the lower denominations up to 10 Pounds were printed in Pakistan, but the higher denominations were printed by Joh Enschede en Zonen in the Netherlands. This 100 Pound design was first issued in 1958, and was re-issued beginning in 1962. This note has a vignette of two young ladies picking cotton. It is P-91b.

netherlands101942dtl.jpg

netherlands101942.jpg

This note was issued because of the Nazi invasion and occupation of Netherlands, the previous 10 Florin note with the vignette of Queen Emma, Queen Mother of Queen Wilhelmina, then in exile in London during the war. This note has a vignette from the painting De Schone Herderin by Dutch master Paulus Moreelse(1571-1638), below is the actual painting from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. This note is P-56b.

moreelse.jpg

portugal5001910dtl.jpg

portugal5001910.jpg

The new Republic of Portugal was woefully short of coinage during the first years of the republic, this note is a provisional issue though dated 1904 was released in 1917 with the Republica overprint. This note is P-105a.

portugal10001956dtl.jpg

portugal10001956.jpg

This 1000 Escudo note from 1956 represents one of the finest note printings by Bradbury Wilkinson printers. Coincidentally the note celebrates the life of Lady Filipa de Lencastre, a daughter of John of Gaunt from the house of Plantagenet from England. She was a remarkably popular queen and wife of King Joao I. This note is P-161.

suriname11963dtl.jpg

suriname11963.jpg

The Dutch colony of Suriname was first settled by the English in 1652, but was traded to the Dutch in return for their settlement in New York in 1667. Suriname became an autonomous part of the Kingdom of Netherlands in 1954, and full independence was achieved in 1975. The design of this note dates to 1957, being printed by Joh Enschede in Zonen, the change in the 1963 was different arms on the reverse of the note. These notes were issued until 1982 and because of inflation were printed in large numbers, quantities of which have been released by the Central Bank in recent years. This note is P-31.

Just got these in from Africa. I've been getting a few notes here and there with serial numbers that stand out a little more. While I am not a person to collect based on the serial number, I will admit that the ones I've been getting are fun to see, like my Italian repeater note. There's nothing special in this batch, but there are more zeroes in a row on the Mali note's serial number than I have ever had before.

v5adyo.jpg

This note is far from the grades I prefer to collect in, but I am finding it increasingly harder to find certain notes, and the prices for the African ones are steadily going up and up. I finally decided to bite the bullet and plunge into a few of the more expensive African notes, but the ones I wanted I haven't seen in these many months. I have almost given up on some of them - but I found this and snatched it up... it'll have to do until I can find it in better grades and better prices.

33p7ypy.jpg

The basic elements of this design dated to 1941 when it was first used, their being printed by American Banknote in New York.

my stepmom used to work at the american bank note co ... i could never get her to bring home samples. :ninja:

The other half i'm a big red sox fan so ifollewed the team and STAYED away from the "EVIL EMPIRE" compound the :ninja: yankees in tampa and their leader "DARTH" Dameon http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/c050.gif

Latest additions are

Ahhhhh! much better