CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

syria1001962dtl.jpg

syria1001962.jpg

Syrian paper money dates to 1919 when it was first issued during the French mandate. Syria became fully independent in 1944. Until 1958 banknotes issued in the country had Arabic on the front of the note, and French on the reverse. With the formation of the United Arab Republic with Egypt in 1958, Syria issued a whole new series of banknotes, the lower denominations up to 10 Pounds were printed in Pakistan, but the higher denominations were printed by Joh Enschede en Zonen in the Netherlands. This 100 Pound design was first issued in 1958, and was re-issued beginning in 1962. This note has a vignette of two young ladies picking cotton. It is P-91b.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

syria1001962dtl.jpg

syria1001962.jpg

Syrian paper money dates to 1919 when it was first issued during the French mandate. Syria became fully independent in 1944. Until 1958 banknotes issued in the country had Arabic on the front of the note, and French on the reverse. With the formation of the United Arab Republic with Egypt in 1958, Syria issued a whole new series of banknotes, the lower denominations up to 10 Pounds were printed in Pakistan, but the higher denominations were printed by Joh Enschede en Zonen in the Netherlands. This 100 Pound design was first issued in 1958, and was re-issued beginning in 1962. This note has a vignette of two young ladies picking cotton. It is P-91b.

superb note.

i have one in my collection, a g maximum and i love it, but seeing it so well keept makes me love it even more.

hy

I have add to my collection one banknotes from IRANIAN AZERBAIJAN 50 tomans 1946 , 2 banknotes of Azerbaijan pick 6 ( 250 ruble 1919 ) and pick 7 ( 500 ruble 1920 ) and 4 bancnotes from Sao Tome e Principe ( 1000 , 5000 and 10000 dobras )

azerbaidjanirans10650t1945a.jpg

hy

I have add to my collection one banknotes from IRANIAN AZERBAIJAN 50 tomans 1946 , 2 banknotes of Azerbaijan pick 6 ( 250 ruble 1919 ) and pick 7 ( 500 ruble 1920 ) and 4 bancnotes from Sao Tome e Principe ( 1000 , 5000 and 10000 dobras )

azerbaidjanirans10650t1945b.jpg

hy

azerbaidjan1.jpg

azerbaidjan2.jpg

hy

Nice set of Azerbaijan notes Christoph. Those early issues were quite nicely designed. This is the first time I've seen th e250 Rubles note. Thanks for posting!

still haven't seen one in person. But why purple??

When I toured the BEP in Ft. Worth last October, they had one of the partially printed ones on display. The tour guide mentioned that the big five was introduced as an aid to the visually impaired, and that subsequent testing showed that the purple 5 was easier seen than the green five on the last issues.

Still weird, but about time. It's like we're the last family on the block to get color TV!

Hey does anyone know what these are worth?

Things to consider: Collection value and (because, as I believe, they're still current) Exchange value.

According to the online exchange rates from oanda.com, the 100 Hong Kong Dollars banknote is worth 12.85 US Dollars and the 1,000 Hong Kong Dollars banknote is worth 128.54 US Dollars in this days exchange rates.

The latest catalog is different. Mind you, this should only get you into the 'ballpark' for a value - you should check places like Ebay to see what they are selling for as well.

The new 13th edition catalog give a price of the 100 Dollar banknote (Listed as P293) as 25.00 US Dollars in Uncirculated condition, and for the 1000 Hong Kong banknote (Listed as P211) 215.00 US Dollars in Uncirculated condition.

So remember to check Ebay: The 100 dollar one currently has a 'buy it now' price of 29.94 while the 1000 dollar one has no offer for this note at this time.

Were it really only that easy to buy things at face value and sell them on ebay for over twice as much!

• 2 weeks later...

I collect hammered coins but hey, a banknote or two won't matter!!

Here are some lovely banknotes that Raoul kindly sent me from Oz.

budapest1.jpg

budapest2.jpg

budapest4.jpg

budapest3.jpg

Cheers Raoul!!

Have to agree they are lovely looking notes :ninja: I have just added (Yesterday) some more Hungarian and Greek along with a nice 1919 polish note to the onlline collection, have a peek some of the Hungarian might look familiar LOL