Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just acquire a few pieces of these early uncirculated Japanese 1916 One Yen notes.

Something interest me about these notes is on the reverse. The american have the silver dollar. The Japanese have their silver yen. The note promised to pay one yen in silver. It also has a picture of a Japanese one yen silver coin to make sure people understand it's value in paper. I have two of the one yen silver jap coins. Here are the pictures for your viewing.

Japan19161Yen434889-F-800.jpg

Japan19161Yen434889-B-800.jpg

1906Japan1Yen-Front.jpg

1906Japan1Yen-Back.jpg

I've always thought these banknotes interesting, and when I came across these two I thought I should get them. These were overprinted to disgrace the Shah Pahvlavi after the revolution ended in 1979 and were used until new notes were printed in 1981. There are eight slight variations of the overprint on the portrait, and four variations of the watermark overprint. I have placed them side by side for easy comparison. The left note is 50 Rials Pick #101c. The right note is 50 Rials Pick #123b, which is directly overprinted on Pick #101.

123qkao.jpg

Just acquire a few pieces of these early uncirculated Japanese 1916 One Yen notes.

Something interest me about these notes is on the reverse. The american have the silver dollar. The Japanese have their silver yen. The note promised to pay one yen in silver. It also has a picture of a Japanese one yen silver coin to make sure people understand it's value in paper. I have two of the one yen silver jap coins. Here are the pictures for your viewing.

Japan19161Yen434889-F-800.jpg

Japan19161Yen434889-B-800.jpg

These notes are common in nicer grade, at least in the USA, but not so much when they are as nice as that one. I like the note, particularly the English language reverse, which for the time seems a bit unusual for a country like Japan. The design is suggestive of then contemporary Bank of England notes. But some of their earlier paper money was strongly influenced by designs from the USA, some of it looks so much like USA silver certificates in the 1870's it is amazing. I was looking for one of these notes awhile back for my collection before I got sidetracked into the attractive feminine vignettes pursuit.

I believe these notes were printed and used right up to WWII if I am not mistaken, but they did come out with another design ca. 1938 which doesn't have quite the detail and or English text on it. I theorize that quite a few of these came over to the USA after the war as souvenirs or booty.

I've always thought these banknotes interesting, and when I came across these two I thought I should get them. These were overprinted to disgrace the Shah Pahvlavi after the revolution ended in 1979 and were used until new notes were printed in 1981. There are eight slight variations of the overprint on the portrait, and four variations of the watermark overprint. I have placed them side by side for easy comparison. The left note is 50 Rials Pick #101c. The right note is 50 Rials Pick #123b, which is directly overprinted on Pick #101.

The variations with the overprints go from quite crude, probably done quickly and maybe not officially, to these ones with the arabesque on them.

These notes are common in nicer grade, at least in the USA, but not so much when they are as nice as that one. I like the note, particularly the English language reverse, which for the time seems a bit unusual for a country like Japan. The design is suggestive of then contemporary Bank of England notes. But some of their earlier paper money was strongly influenced by designs from the USA, some of it looks so much like USA silver certificates in the 1870's it is amazing. I was looking for one of these notes awhile back for my collection before I got sidetracked into the attractive feminine vignettes pursuit.

I believe these notes were printed and used right up to WWII if I am not mistaken, but they did come out with another design ca. 1938 which doesn't have quite the detail and or English text on it. I theorize that quite a few of these came over to the USA after the war as souvenirs or booty.

Thanks for the input. These early Jap notes is my third encounter and acquisition since my first is the Jap one yen silver coins 20+ years ago and of course my Jap solid 555555 banknotes. Yes, they are relatively inexpensive and surprisinglying brand new and crispy condition. I just love the sound when you hold of them in your hands. At that time, the Japanese have a lot of trading with the West which can explain why the English words are printed on the reverse of the notes.

Most recent purchase (first ever) banknote wise where some "Euro-Pound" notes.

RBS pound note from 1992, with the EC (now EU) stars on it. Little did they know then the Euro would become a reality. :ninja:

Guy was selling two "almost sequential" uncirculated and in a separate auction a circulated example. Since nobody bid on the circulated one he was kind enough to give it to me!

913062A.jpg

Not particularly amazing but a nice little anomaly. I'm also quite pro-EU.

I like those new Scottish notes. My son may be going to the University Of Edinburgh next year, if he does I'll have a "direct connection" to Scottish coins and notes.

And he'll probably have the time of his life!

Here's a lucky number from the United States:

sevens.jpg

I like those new Scottish notes. My son may be going to the University Of Edinburgh next year, if he does I'll have a "direct connection" to Scottish coins and notes.

Make sure he does! It is an awesome city, especially for those wanting to exprence European / Scottish culture. Though I will be obligated to call him a "Ya" ;) Bloomin posh Edinbugh Uni students! :ninja:

Added a new scarcer prefix - Italy 5000 Lires Double Same Letter Solid DD 555555 into my Italian 555555 Collection. This is a duplicate piece of 5000 lires 555555 which I already owned ( AD 555555 ). It is a much better piece with DD prefix. I love the design of old Italian currency.

Italy5000LiresDD555555R.jpg

Bosnia - Herzegovina 50 Converible Pfenigga 1998 0.75

Croatia 2004 10 Kuna Commerative

Georgian Republic 1 Lari

Lebanon 1000 Livres 2004?

Penu 10 Nuevos Sol 27.9.2001

Russian Federation 10 New Rubles 5

Sao Tome (Saint Thomas) 5000 Dobras

South Africa 2 Rand 1983

Syria 10 Pounds 1991

Tonga 1 Pa'anga 1995

Tunisia 1/2 Dinar 1973