Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.

Congratulations, are you going to post them on one page so we can see them all together?

Yeah I will when I get a chance. Been just crazy busy this week. I'll have to fix the scan too. I must've had my laptop monitor at the wrong angle. the scan is darker than the note itself is. I should have all 13 posted here by the weeks end though.

Thanks.

Yeah I will when I get a chance. Been just crazy busy this week. I'll have to fix the scan too. I must've had my laptop monitor at the wrong angle. the scan is darker than the note itself is. I should have all 13 posted here by the weeks end though.

Good to hear. I look forward to it.

In the mean time, from Costa Rica a very colourful note.

941038B.jpg

941038A.jpg

Nice New Hampster note Dave - amazing to think that the note had a nearly 12 year payout time period planned in 1776 - at least there in New Hampster they are honest about how long it will take to pay a debt. Holders of the 1780 Continentals were only finally paid by 1812, and then only 1% of the original debt after the bonds issued in the 1790s were paid up.

Sometime I want to finish my colonies, I still have Vermont, New Hampshire, Georgia, N and S Carolina to go. Curiously enough I have a Maine item from 1758 that is probably much scarcer than Vermont even.

MMMM, that Costa Rica 50 is on my list! I also like your Congo 20000 too!

Scottishmoney, Your set is a very nice one. That Maine issue is a rarity indeed. But adding Vermont would be awesome - any hopes for La Louisiane?

The La Louisiane notes are probably not as rare as the Vermont - they were issued during the South Sea Bubble time so there are probably more around than the Vermonts. What I find fascinating with colonials is since the run up to the Bicentennial in 1976 some hoards of some formerly quite scarce notes have flooded the market - notably the Carolinas. NC notes are so flipping common now, even into the 1750s. There have been some archival finds of Maryland and Delaware, the latter printed by the Ben himself, that have turned up in smaller numbers than the NC notes - but formerly prohibitive 1733 dated notes from Maryland from the London made plates have slipped into auctions in the past few years. My one Delaware 20/- from 1746 was printed by Benjamin Franklin in his print shop in Philadelphia - years before he brought in David Hall as an apprentice and later partner.

I collect them primarily for the history, family links to the Revolution etc - not because they are particularly rare or pretty - they sure are not really lovely notes, no attractive females or nice designs certainly. But the whole leaf print thing started by Franklin adds to the allure of them - he figured out that leaf prints could not be duplicated - no leaf is the same as the other - so otherwise you would have to do a clumsy looking woodcut to duplicate a leaf pattern.

On your notes you can clearly see that in the colonies on the borders of civilisation that the printing and ornamentation clearly were much more spartan in the Carolinas and Georgia than in the northern colonies. I nearly bid on a 1789 Charleston note recently, not sure why I didn't.

Another aspect that is fun with the signatures is to research the signers and even the printers of the notes. Some would turn out to be Tories and later fled to Britain or Canada. Others such as Hugh Gaines somehow managed to slip through the dragnet of popular opinion of the time and remain in their business long afterwards - he printed the NYC corporation notes of 1790. I have a couple of Ben Franklin printed notes, some Hugh Gaines, and some famous signers - Laommi Baldwin(war hero and horticulturalist who discovered the Baldwin apple) and John Hart(signer of the Declaration of Independence).

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few nots I got recently (and been too lazy to post)

20 Swiss Francs 2000

941166A.jpg

100 riels Cambodia 1972

941165A.jpg

100 Frwnch francs

941164A.jpg

10 Francs Berlioz

941163A.jpg

100 Francs Corneille

941161A.jpg

1 Piastre Indochina

941162A.jpg

500 Francs La Paix 1941

941167A.jpg

Serbia 1000 Dinara

m3yb.jpg

ipc4.jpg

Serbia 1000 Dinara

jv68.JPG

1u39.jpg

Switzerland 10 Franks

sovo.jpg

bb8y.jpg

Terrific notes Bax.

Wow, lot's of great notes lately. Congrats everyone!

This note I'm adding here is one I've wanted for a while. It's been tough to find it in better than VF for some reason, but I'm pretty happy with this in XF. The folds are mostly very faint. It's a Switzerland 5 Franken note with William Tell at the left.

2eplp3k.jpg