• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go Saor Alba:

wTF4Z.jpg

What really throws me off on those Algerians, they totally eliminated all Western text, ie the French they used to have on the notes. But then they used the westernized "Arabic" numerals. :shock:

But I like the ancient motifs in the designs though.

I have not had much time to scan notes in but here is one of my newest favorite notes. Tibet 100 Srang. It is large note with a magnificent design. Someday I would like to figure out what the text says.

932175A.jpg

932175B.jpg

I have wanted one of those Tibetan notes, they are so cool - printed on multiple layers of paper bonded together with woodblock style print - a local approach to a high tech solution to making the notes counterfeit proof. They were used into the mid 1950's for a time even after the Chinese came in and started colonising the place.

Purchased sometime ago and let lay around un-imaged for awhile:

uruguay10pesosdtl1.jpg

uruguay10pesos.jpg

uruguay10pesosdtl2.jpg

19th century Uruguayan banks liked colourful paper money - and well printed at that - there was a veritable competition betwixt BWC, ABNCo, G&D and BdF for printing contracts there. This note printed by ABNCo belies some of the printing techniques developed by the Homer Lee Banknote Co early in the 1880's when they were merged with ABNCo.

Another nice note to add to your collection of ladies. But seeing this made me think – What if we still did this type of vignette in modern culture? What would it consist of? Here in this one we have ladies with beguiling smiles representing liberty and what I think it nationalism, resting amongst items like the cog reflecting industry, bundles and barrels for agriculture, ships and trains with a compass for transportation and trade, and the ancient anvil and sledge hammer for labor and industry.

We have liberty still emblazoned on currency still, but in a vignette such as this, but updated, what would we value as emblems of a modern era?

SM, great design but I'm not a fan of the lemon-lime reverse color.

Dave, great question. Do you want to make that into a thread or a poll? Or would you like me to?

Thanks Saor Alba, Dave. This set has missing denomination - $1000 ( can forgot about it coz it will be an impossible task to find one with a solid ), $10 ( There is still hope), $50 ( Must be very patient ). I was first attracted to this set by the $100 solid. According to the Canadian forum, there seems to be only 3 or 4 solids known $100 denomination. I wonder how true is that. Moreover, the Canadian Charlton catalog do not list down the market price of the $100. That was what I was told.. Anyone here have the latest Canadian Charlton catalog to check on the 1954 $100 pricing and if possible check on the rest of the denomination as well ? Thanks.

The 2001 (yes, rather outmoded) Charlton lists the following suggested values for solid serial number 54 series:

$1... 400

$2... 450

$5... 500

$10... 550

$20... 600

$50... 700

$100... 800

Thanks ccg

The 2001 (yes, rather outmoded) Charlton lists the following suggested values for solid serial number 54 series:

$1... 400

$2... 450

$5... 500

$10... 550

$20... 600

$50... 700

$100... 800

Current catalog price are all above $1k CDN. Only 4 pieces ( including 5555555 ) of $100 solid ( 1s, 2s, 5s and 7s ) appeared in the public. Market price for $100 can go up to 10K CDN or more :bwink: