CoinPeople.com

Charles II to early George III

stu62

Ah early British milled coins, my favorite. Well that is a huge expanse to collect. Even if you stuck to trying to collect George III coins I doubt you would ever collect them all! I'm not to put you off or anything but I'm prety sure there where 300+ pattern coins minted for George III alone, never mind regular coins. It depend how serious you want to take it. Some people collect only Victoria Penny's etc, but even some of these have different variations on there reverse and obverse for the same year. If you just won't to collect any donomination between these years then the only things to watch out for is fakes. There aren't that many, but there are fakes circulating for the more expensive and rare years of sovereign coins. Also a few halfpenny fakes as well as other denominations. Which where made at the same times as the real ones where being used but these coins are ussually crudely made or are under/over weight. The other thing to add is some off the earlyer milled coins are quite pricey in decent grades. However if you do plenty of reading before hand you will soon learn more about these fascinating coins.

P.S. dont be affraid to ask!

Also you should consider joining http://www.predecimal.com/forum/ as there are many experianced British coin collectors/members there, some of who are also members on this site who can guide and help you along the way.

Enjoy :ninja:

Thanks for your help.I've seen Charles II half crowns in problem free VG , something like this would be nice. The Maundy coins seem reasonably priced also.I've collected British colonial and commonwealth for years , but never English coins themselves.I find it great that I can get neat 17th century coins at reasonable prices.

Oh yes!

I'm a former Early Milled collector so i totally appreciate why you like them. The only problem i found with Early Milled was that if the 'Early Milled' bug grabs you then it can kill alot of interest in the later series. The relief and detail on the EM portraits totally blows away the post George III stuff in my opinion.

That said i find George III coinage a total bore, most of it i find unappealing, sloppy and ugly. The George II and ealier is best. Charles II coins are real stunners.

• 1 month later...

Archived