CoinPeople.com

Can we make coin identification like finger print?

gxseries

When criminals are involved, and finger prints are left on site, detectives would take samples of it, and compare it to a database. That said, I >heard< there is some kind of computerized software that tries to match the fingerprint to it's database.

Now, is that impossible for coin identification, or that's still too costly to be pratical, or I am talking garbage?

Wild idea, but I cannot imagine anyone who'd take the time to put that one together.

What you are talking about is imaging recognition software.

I brought this up in another topic

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=6014&hl=

I still think it would be an awesome thing if someone could create a database with pics for a user to determine what coin they have. But as GDJMSP said it would take lots of pics.

Back in the late 70s or early 80s there were a number of projects to create grading databases for coins based upon AI rules and "high" resolution image capture which was emerging. With 3D imaging accelerating as it is, it's only a matter of time before automated grading systems will at least assist the TPGs. The same systems would make coin identification and counterfeit identification via database a distinct possibility. Lots of fun. I wish I had the funds to create a prototype of such a system.

Archived