CoinPeople.com

1958 frankie double chin

• 3 months later...
Still wondering any ideas on cause other then a die chipped?

Some kind of die chip looks like the best explanation to me. Have you checked the text on the same side of the coin? If they exhibit some degree of die fatigue, then it would support the notion of wear and tear of the die.

• 4 years later...

Nice error Mark. I see they have a 59-D with a similar break on the site. I don't recall if they were reusing dies in those days and changing the dates - I believe it to be possible. I'll check some of my mint into tonight and see if there's anything to that possibility, ie your 58-D and the 59-D coming from the same cracked master.

Brett Parrish from Franklin-Lovers contacted me and is forwarding the pictures to Ken Potter and Bill Fivaz. The goatee Franklin he has is going to be included in the Cherrypickers' Guide and there is a possibility mine may be included also. But Brett said it may be too late for this year. He has requested I allow him to look at the coin in person. I did of course do some googling and he appears to be legit so I probably will send it for confirmation. I'm kind of wondering about slabbing ANACs since they are more receptive to new varieties.

• 2 weeks later...

From Brett Parrish.

"The next edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide due to be released soon is going to list the 1959 but Ken Potter said it was too late to add the 1958-D at this point. PCGS will likely recognize this variety once the CPG is released. "

So it looks like its a confirmed variety. And will be in next years guide.

From Brett Parrish.

"The next edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide due to be released soon is going to list the 1959 but Ken Potter said it was too late to add the 1958-D at this point. PCGS will likely recognize this variety once the CPG is released. "

So it looks like its a confirmed variety. And will be in next years guide.

:bthumbsup::bthumbsup: Good find. Hold that little beauty.

• 4 months later...

Well, a really slow trip for the coin. It finally made it out of the consultation stage and is in the grading stage at anacs. I'm hoping this part will go faster. So far at least a couple others have turned up. It is rated as a URS-3 which means 3 to 4 have been reported. Also it has the same designation as the other double chin franklins. a FS-402. 4 months is a long time to wait on grading. Most of the time has been listed as under consultation.

Well, a really slow trip for the coin. It finally made it out of the consultation stage and is in the grading stage at anacs. I'm hoping this part will go faster. So far at least a couple others have turned up. It is rated as a URS-3 which means 3 to 4 have been reported. Also it has the same designation as the other double chin franklins. a FS-402. 4 months is a long time to wait on grading. Most of the time has been listed as under consultation.

WOW! That is a long time. But at least it seems that you're getting good news out of the wait.

Part of the money value would come from how many they find of them. If it's a low number then it could be worth a fair amount. You know how the registry set stuff works and people wanting to have complete sets. PCGS has a variety Franklin lovers set. And if it does get listed in the CPG it should be added to that list. So yep could be a chunk. Right now in the pcgs registry the number 1 complete set is and will no longer be complete. They don't list the same 1959 D or the 1958 D. But that should change.

Archived