CoinPeople.com

When is a downgrade really an upgrade?

gpnyc

I just upgraded my US Type Set by actually purchasing a coin with a lower technical grade.

The first coin is the new one. Its graded G-4 by NGC. Its well worn but has nice original color and an even strike:

915708.jpg

This next coin is the one that was replaced. Its graded VG-8 by NGC and, in fact, I believe the technical grade should be higher, like 10 or 12. It does, however, have extensive adjustment marks on both sides. These adjustment marks have created considerable weakness on the opposing sides, which gives the coin an appearance of a much lower grade. Plus the adjustment marks are just plain unattractive.

915707.jpg

So, which would you rather own, the VG-8 or the G-4?

I would rather have the VG coin, but probably not why you think. To me, the adjustment marks, although deleterious to the appearance of the coin are an important part of the history of that particular coin and for early coinage in general. Although it may not be as pretty, I would choose the latter for it's rich history. Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

I would rather have the VG coin, but probably not why you think.  To me, the adjustment marks, although deleterious to the appearance of the coin are an important part of the history of that particular coin and for early coinage in general.  Although it may not be as pretty, I would choose the latter for it's rich history.  Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

Its for sale if you're interested!

I think you've made an upgrade. Consider if you're showing your collection to some non-numismatist friends. Which coin would they be more impressed with?

Personally, I've passed up a few needed dates because they had carbon spots or other ugly detractions. I'm waiting for that one coin that meets my standards for grade, eye appeal, and budget.

I think you've made an upgrade. Consider if you're showing your collection to some non-numismatist friends. Which coin would they be more impressed with?

Personally, I've passed up a few needed dates because they had carbon spots or other ugly detractions. I'm waiting for that one coin that meets my standards for grade, eye appeal, and budget.

Actually, looking at the VG coin again... keep it. She looks like a zombie. :ninja:

Many would disagree with me, but I absolutely detest adjustment marks. I've passed on many a coin 300 yrs old and more that would grade 63 or 64 because they had adjustment marks. They just ruin the looks of the coin for me.

Reckon that's why they make chocolate and vanilla :ninja:

Its for sale if you're interested!

The one coin that always seems to get away, I'm also afraid to know the current market values on it lol. Doesn't mean i'm not curious though.

As for the upgrade/downgrade thing, I feel the same way as Jeff does about the adjustment marks, if it came down to owning a coin such as that one, I think it adds to the history of the coin. It's just an interesting thing that was done at the moment of minting, I think of adjustment marks in the same realm as doubled dies or mistrikes. Both are excellent coins though! :ninja:

A lot of interesting comments from all.

Just to clarify - its not the adjustment marks per se that I object to, its the effect they had on the strike of the coin. The uneven strike is what always bothered me about the coin (i.e. the eagle with a missing head).

As for history, I submit that both coins probably have an equal amount of history attached to them, adjustment marks or not.

If you do win it, let me know its you. I usually give free shipping to CoinPeople members, even when I sell on eBay. Good luck!

Archived