CoinPeople.com

Hi I'm Sheila and i'm 41 and just starting to get into this for my son. My husband drug out his old coin collection and we started going thru it and now would like to find out the values of the different coins and also whats the best way to keep them cataloged. I don't know where to start to find out there value or anything. I'm looking forward to learning all I can.

Thanks,

Sheila

If you help us out with some details, we can be more supportive. Most of us would probably want to know about the coins: U.S. or World? from the 1800s or 1900s?... But, let me ask, what about your son? How old is he? What are his interests in school? We have some common saws in the hobby:

Coins are history you hold in your hand.

Buy the book before you buy the coin.

I just turned in an article for my monthly column in the American Numismatic Association magazine about "Back to School." Coins are history, to be sure, but they also support economics, science, math, art, and just about everything, really, even music. (Coins commemorate famous musicians and one way to tell a genuine silver coin is to "ring" it.)

Welcome. Ours is a rich community with many and varied interests. There should be something here to help with your immediate goals and many avenues that can lead to new interests. Be careful. It doesn't take long to get hooked!

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that the people here have been an invaluable resource of information on coins and banknotes. I also like the fact that there are people here who trade with eachother.

Like the header of the website says...... "Come for the coins, Stay for the people..."

KFC :ninja:

Archived