CoinPeople.com

1809 King George III Enters the Fiftieth Year of His Reign, Great Britain

BHM 648

901402.jpg

25mm Link

When examining the new pictures it appears that the obverse is struck over another medal. It is very faint but there are traces of the underlying piece near the very center.

899930.jpg

25mm Link

This is a silvered brass example, unlisted in the references.

A variant showing how Kettle would mule together different dies:

BHM 646

899932.jpg

25mmLink

1809 King George III Enters the Fiftieth Year of His Reign, Great Britain

BHM 654

899192.jpg

45mm Link

This is by the artist Westwood and though it might not be immediately obvious 'ol George is wearing a lion's head on his right shoulder.

1809 Visite du Roi de Saxe a la Monnaie des Médailles, France

Laskey CVIII

Edwards 489

Bramsen 883

d'Essling 1259

899242.jpg

40mm Link

Visitation medals were a way to honor royal visitors to the mint. The King of Saxony, who was also the Grand Duke of Warsaw, visited in December of 1809.

1809 King George III Enters the Fiftieth Year of His Reign, France

BHM 653

d'Essling 1265

901404.jpg

43mm Link

In my experience the most common of British medals for 1809.

1809 Prise de Raab, France

Laskey CI

Bramsen 854

d'Essling 1239

903048.jpg

41mm Link

After getting thumped at Aspern-Essling through lack of planning Napoleon sat down and prepared to destroy the Austrians. To that end he sent Eugene Beauharnois, his step-son and Viceroy of Italy to the south with his Italian army to prevent the Archduke John from joining his troops to those of Archduke Charles. The Italians and Austrians fought at the Raab with the Italians winning, forcing John away. He was unable to join Charles in time to help at Wagram.

1809 Death of Sir John Moore, Great Britain

BHM 665

Bramsen 836

d'Essling 1229

915640.jpg

40mm Link

Another medal commemorating the death of the general at the battle of Corunna. This one was engraved by P. Wyon.

1809 Colonel Wardle

BHM 667

915656.jpg

53mm Link

The King's sons were not the sharpest pencils in his pocket. The Prince of Wales was more interested in his clothing than in ruling and the Duke of York, though more than competent in running the administration of the Army, was not one to bother with every detail. One detail that slipped his notice was that his mistress was running a little side business where she was influencing the sale of commissions of officers. Unlike the French army, where merit counted more than family connections, the British Army of the time sold its commissions; they were quite expensive and that expense was justified in that it reserved command to the aristocracy.

Colonel Wardle, an MP, stood up in Parliment and exposed this little scandal. Not that the commissions were sold, the fact that the mistress was getting rich doing it! It ultimately forced the Duke to resign. Many years later he was once again put in charge of the Army. After all they did have to give him a job...

And a different one:

BHM 668

899390.jpg

40mm Link

• 2 months later...

1809 Banque de France, France

Bramsen 918

d'Essling 1268

898485.jpg

68mm Link

There were two varieties of this large medal issued; this is the variety without legends on the reverse.

1809 Grande loge de Herodom en France, France

Bramsen 933

Marvin CCXL

d'Essling 2137

Edwards 522

898243.jpg

35mm Link

This is an R4 Masonic medal that once was in the collection of Prince Victor Napoleon. The engraver's name was Jaley who did a number of masonic pieces as well as non-masonic for the Paris mint. This medal contains several references to modern masonry's origin in Scotland, at least from the French perspective. For this reason we see the oddity of a French medal with the partial legend IN THE LORD WE PUT OUR TRUST on the reverse.

You mention the reverse legend, but do you know if that has any particular relevance to Scotland? I'm not 100% on that. Although the legend is in English, it doesn't have any obvious ring of `scottishness' to it. It does however remind me of the latin legends found typically on gold ducats of Austria 1745-65.

the obverse however is definitely more `Scottish' than many scottish coins and medals! :ninja:

It has the lion rampant in a cartouche of thistles. Of course, the lion is also the emblem of Lyon. This jeton / medal however seems to sport more thistles than your average unploughed field in Jockland! AND it has the motto of Scotland `Nemo Me Impune Lacesset'. That is, `None provoke me with impunity' (or words to that effect). I am left to wonder if old Jock Thompson (the Scottish predecessor of `Kilroy') might have paid an earlier visit and subsequently left behind a generation of CU Jimmies?

My understanding of French Masonry is that it was founded by Scot immigrants (or exiles depending on your view). So many of the earliest French lodges reference being somehow related to the Scottish Mother Lodge. Many of the members were either first or second generation Scot origin but the majority of the lodges were filled with French members. So it's probably not surprising that the medals were pseudo Scot. :ninja: Jaley, the engraver, was French through and through. I've always thought it odd/interesting that this connection persisted throughout the Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras.

Archived