CoinPeople.com

1964 half dollars

muskydude

hello iam a just starting collector with a couple questions first i have in my possesion 42 1964 kennedy silver half dollars these were given to me by my grand mother when i was four.She got them new in 1964 and kept them until she gave them to me. they were un touched for 35 years until now, i have them they were never circulated ,they are in pristine condition. my question is what are they worth. also on ebay today i bought a 1963 ms-67 fbl franlklin half dollar the seller said its value on pcgs was 25,000 dollars here is my question i bought it for 35 dollars what is the deal here ? no one is going to pay that much for a coin if the professional coin grading company says its worth that much then why does it sell so cheap . im just trying to figure out if ive been had or did i pay a good price. thank you. Darrell

Even in some of the PREMIRE grades (MS67) Kennedy's scarcely bring $140. Yours are probably along the lines of MS63 or lower and at that grade they can go as high as $3.00 a piece.

Sorry, but on many occasions 64 Kennedy's are still found in circulation and with a high mintage and also factor in they were very heavily horded for many years they will not become a premium year to resell for quite a long time to come.

As presents from your grammy they are probably worth more in sentimental value than in dollar value.

As far as the Franklin, did you get a MS67 FBL Franklin in a PCGS holder? There are companies out there that grade VERY loosely and their coins are worth far less, even though their grade designation would imply differently. As for your particular year, a 1963 FLB in a PCGS MS63 would be worth around $35.

The holder your coin is in is probably NOT a PCGS holder but another company. If that is the case, the dealer decided that the coin graded around MS63 at BEST and sold it to you accordingly. Can you post a picture of the coin and its holder? That is the only way to be sure. Or even a link to the auction can be helpful.

Even in some of the PREMIRE grades (MS67) Kennedy's scarcely bring $140.  Yours are probably along the lines of MS63 or lower and at that grade they can go as high as $3.00 a piece.

Sorry, but on many occasions 64 Kennedy's are still found in circulation and with a high mintage and also factor in they were very heavily horded for many years they will not become a premium year to resell for quite a long time to come.

As presents from your grammy they are probably worth more in sentimental value than in dollar value.

As far as the Franklin, did you get a MS67 FBL Franklin in a PCGS holder?  There are companies out there that grade VERY loosely and their coins are worth far less even though their grade designation would imply differently.  As for your particular year, a 1963 FLB in a PCGS MS63 would be worth around $35.

The holder your coin is in is probably NOT a PCGS holder but another company.  If that is the case, the dealer decided that the coin graded around MS63 at BEST and sold it to you accordingly.  Can you post a picture of the coin and its holder?  That is the only way to be sure.  Or even a link to the auction can be helpful.

Even in some of the PREMIRE grades (MS67) Kennedy's scarcely bring $140.  Yours are probably along the lines of MS63 or lower and at that grade they can go as high as $3.00 a piece.

As far as the Franklin, did you get a MS67 FBL Franklin in a PCGS holder?  There are companies out there that grade VERY loosely and their coins are worth far less even though their grade designation would imply differently.  As for your particular year, a 1963 FLB in a PCGS MS63 would be worth around $35.

The holder your coin is in is probably NOT a PCGS holder but another company.  If that is the case, the dealer decided that the coin graded around MS63 at BEST and sold it to you accordingly.  Can you post a picture of the coin and its holder?  That is the only way to be sure.  Or even a link to the auction can be helpful.

f1_2.JPG

Well, that is definately not a PCGS holder so the seller quoting a PCGS price in the auction was inappropriate at best. The picture is not clear enough for me to determine whose holder that is or even speculate a guess on the actual grade. Is that a company name in red letters and what do the letters actually say?

I guess I should start by asking if you have the coin in your hands yet or are you still waiting for delivery?

Most '64 Kennedy halves go for a little under silver melt if you sell them to a dealer. Exceptional strikes can be worth more if they're certified. The "MS-67" FBL '63 Franklin probably isn't worth any more than you paid for it or the seller would have gotten more for it. Ebay has a lot of hype artists selling there. I buy coins online and sight unseen only from people I know well and trust, which means I avoid buying coins on ebay.

Good to see a new collector here. Keep asking questions because that's the best way to learn.

1964 Kennedy halves, in BU condition, are selling for $15 to $35 each at local coin shops. 1964 Kennedy halves that have been run through about a 1000 slot machines are getting 4.5 times face here (melt value).

Run of the mill, nice looking coins for gifts at Christmas, etc. are commanding the standard $9.95 each price tag. So, even though you will not get rich on what your Grandmother gave you, it does have some real worth.

1964 Kennedy halves, in BU condition, are selling for $15 to $35 each at local coin shops. 1964 Kennedy halves that have been run through about a 1000 slot machines are getting 4.5 times face here (melt value).

Run of the mill, nice looking coins for gifts at Christmas, etc. are commanding the standard $9.95 each price tag. So, even though you will not get rich on what your Grandmother gave you, it does have some real worth.

By BU, I'm guessing MS65+? I've sent many a UNC '64 Kennedy to the melting pot.

By BU, I'm guessing MS65+? I've sent many a UNC '64 Kennedy to the melting pot.

Yeah, MS65 or greater for the BU grades. Not proofs, as my local deals has dozens and dozens of cracked out proofs from mint sets. And on your UNC '64's to the melting pot, Yikes! Those are the nice coins he is getting $9.95 each for at Christmas time for gifts. If he likes you, he will flip them for about $8.50 each, so that is a lot more than melt.