CoinPeople.com

Error Quarter

Hi Everyone, This quarter came from a girlfriend who needed to borrow money. She paid me back with a bunch of change, most was quarters. I found this quarter in the change she paid me with. I told her what she gave me and she said good happens and it's mine. bhyper.gif So I am considering selling it on Ebay but I am no expert when it comes to coins, just a collector, and wanted to know if I get it certified would that increase the sale amount or not. Thanks for your help, gutierrezgirl

{br}Coind.jpg{br}Picture001.jpg

Hi Everyone, This quarter came from a girlfriend who needed to borrow money. She paid me back with a bunch of change, most was quarters. I found this quarter in the change she paid me with. I told her what she gave me and she said good happens and it's mine. bhyper.gif So I am considering selling it on Ebay but I am no expert when it comes to coins, just a collector, and wanted to know if I get it certified would that increase the sale amount or not. Thanks for your help, gutierrezgirl

Your coin appears to have a missing clad layer. I have read that clad layers can be removed after minting. If you get the coin certified from a top level service, you will be able to offer the coin for sale with some strong evidence of authenticity. This would, likely, result in a higher purchase price. Of course, if it is not found to be authentic, then you will be out the price of evaluation.

I have to agree on the certification of this coin being key to its sale. I have several that look just like this, but I don't think any of them are legitimate missing clad layers. It looks more like someone put a chemical on the coins surface and let it eat the nickel layer away revealing the copper. I'm not saying yours isn't legitimate, I'm just saying faux coins like that are in circulation, so having them certified is a must.

I agree. There are a few things you can check before you send it off. It should be thinner and lighter than a normal quarter. You can also check for rim damage that would be caused by someone removing the clad layer. If it checks out send it out, the real thing get a nice price.

Archived