CoinPeople.com

Round 5 - Nineteenth - Group 2

Which do you prefer?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Gothic
    • Bust

Another great pair! It looks like the final is going to come down to two fine ladies. Great contest. I'm always unsure about some of the great coins that seem to get discarded way too early, but great coins do emerge in the final rounds. Any one of the four easily deserves to win.

You know, I think we should have a rule that a prior winner shouldn't be allowed in again.  Seems a bit silly to me.

Which one's the prior winner?

I've often thought that such a rule would be a good thing to implement. But as you can see the problem is i can't actually remember any of the winners, except for PCI1 of course... :ninja:

If i had known that the gothic crown had previously won this competition I would not have entered it.

Consider it withdrawn.

No it most certainly has not won previously, the previous winner was a gothic florin, which won PCI1 and i only remember that because it was mine! :ninja:

I've never seen a gothic crown in this competition, i thought you were alluding to the bust coin having won before!

i thought you were alluding to the bust coin having won before!

I don't see where I have given anyone that impression :ninja: (?)

I'm confused now. If the gothic crown hasn't been entered before, then what's up (?).

The coin entered is clearly a crown..... NOT a florin.

Even though the image gives no concept of `scale' you can very readily tell the difference by reference to the reverse legends. A gothic florin specifically says on the reverse ` One Florin- One tenth of a Pound'......the gothic crown says something else entirely. It's as eezy-peezy as that.

While in a way I can see that it doesn't make sense to allow a coin type that has previously won PCI to be re-entered in the future, suggesting one `gothic' type be barred from entry because its baby sister had previously won is as daft as barring Barber quarters from entering because a Barber Half dollar had previously won.....or barring a Bust Dollar because a bust half had previously won....etcetera.

I don't see where I have given anyone that impression  :ninja:  (?)

I'm confused now. If the gothic crown hasn't been entered before, then what's up (?).

The coin entered is clearly a crown..... NOT a florin.

Even though the image gives no concept of `scale' you can very readily tell the difference by reference to the reverse legends. A gothic florin specifically says on the reverse ` One Florin- One tenth of a Pound'......the gothic crown says something else entirely. It's as eezy-peezy as that.

While in a way I can see that it doesn't make sense to allow a coin type that has previously won PCI to be re-entered in the future, suggesting one `gothic' type be barred from entry because its baby sister had previously won is as daft as barring Barber quarters from entering because a Barber Half dollar had previously won.....or barring a Bust Dollar because a bust half had previously won....etcetera.

Ian you have completely misunderstood this.

Firstly i never stated that i thought the coin had won before, that was Tiffany not me. I've certainly never seen that coin before, but i was not present for PCI4 and i think i slept through PCI5.

Secondly what i meant about a previous winner not being allowed in again, i was not referring to the coin design, what i mean was, well a demonstration perhaps; Lets say your crown went on to win this competition then it wouldn't be allowed to be re-entered into PCI7, only the ACTUAL winning coin (i.e only that one) is barred from re-entry, you could however, enter another a Gothic Crown if you wanted to, you could go on entering gothic crowns for the next 12 PCIs if you wanted but they'd all have to be different ones.

Now if you coin doesn't win the grand final of this PCI, then you could re-enter it into PCI7, etc. until it does win.

Thirdly i do know the difference between a gothic crown and a gothic florin, if i didn't then i'd be worried. :lol:

I don't see where I have given anyone that impression  :ninja:  (?)

No that was me misunderstanding Tiffany's comment, i know for a fact i have never seen a Gothic Crown in this competition (ignoring PCI4 which i missed so i had to check that). But i do believe we had a bust winner once? So i was thinking oh has this bust won a previous PCI already?

Which is where i went off track.

I confused the two because they are very similar.  I wasn't actually around for the first competition.

Hopefully my previous post has alleviated any confusion by providing a simple `at a glance' methodology for differentiating between the two.

I've no prior with any PCI competition excepting voting in the very last round of the last one.

And Jeff you may be right!  :ninja:

It seems to me that PCI should generate some debate. Afterall, it is a subjective vote on what one likes and doesn't like. Ian and I exchanged opinions on our view of ancients and that was fun. Here, I went with his Gothic although I do like all four of the finalists. Its really just a gut vote when it comes down to it. The Gothic is complex, well balanced, interesting piece. The other three are more simple in design (that's a positive attribute in my mind), representative of their period and style, and each share other positive attributes (color, interesting die cracks, great toning, etc) that contribute to their "aesthetic." The reasons why this round generated more posts that votes is not as important as the fact that it did generate a good discussion. To my mind, that means we've got some good coins to talk about, regardless of which one wins.

Hooray for passion!

Archived