CoinPeople.com

Coin, Medal or ???

:ninja: Hi,

I have a Medal, coin etc., that reads CAROLVSIXD*G*FRANCORVM REXINVIC, its dated 1572 and it has a profile of a Person. The other side reads, ELIZABETHII*D*G*FRANCORVM*REGINA and it also has a profile of a person. I've searched the WWW and I havent been able to come up with anything. I would appreciate it if someone could help me identify this thing or atleast point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dee

:ninja: Well, I was hoping the pictures would have helped w/the identification of this coin, medal, token ??? etc., but........ However, I would like to say, Thanks because I've learned alot about coins from your Forum and I hope to continue building my small collection.

Sincerely,

AbbyNrml :lol:

:ninja: Well, I was hoping the pictures would have helped w/the identification of this coin, medal, token ??? etc.,  but........  However, I would like to say, Thanks because  I've learned alot about coins from your Forum and I hope to continue building my small collection.

Sincerely,

AbbyNrml :lol:

Charles IX was made king of France at the ripe old age of 10 following the sudden death of his brother Francis II. Charles ruled from 1560 to 1574 (mainly under the tutelage of his mother Catherine De Medici.

In 1570 (november 26th) he married Elisabeth of Austria, (daughter of Maximillian II, Holy Roman Emperor.

As to your item, I can't tell from the images what size the item is, what the metal is, and whether or not it is from the period concerned or a modern made item. Sorry.

However, it in all likelyhood commemorates the marriage of Charles IX and Elisabeth in 1570.

If it is circa 27 - 28mm diameter and silver, then the likelyhood is that it is a presentation piece made for the royal household staff and dignatories of that time. If larger, then it probably falls into the `medal' category...about which I know even less. ;-)

• 2 years later...
:ninja: Thanks for the info!! I'll do some more research and if I find out exactly what I have, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Sd

So I have one of these medal / coins as well. How would you go about finding more info for this type of object? The one we have was found in Salinas california with a metal detector back in the 70's and given to my wife so I am curious as to how to get more info.

TIA

So I have one of these medal / coins as well. How would you go about finding more info for this type of object? The one we have was found in Salinas california with a metal detector back in the 70's and given to my wife so I am curious as to how to get more info.

TIA

image02013.jpg

Is this the medal you have?

If it is made from silver, 37mm Dia. & weighs 15,47 grams & has NO edge marks it is quite valuable. The value depends on actual condition. But if there is an edge mark, ie argent, bronze and a small symbol, you need to post what the edges marks are. I suspect it probably is a restrike, here is a Link to Edge Marks then it is not worth very much, the amount depending on what edge mark & again condition. The value of a restrike is only $20 to $30 in bronze.

The original medal was by Germain Pillon, and the actual silver medal, pictured above in EF condition, sold at auction in 2006 for $423 US.

• 6 years later...

I have one of these as well. It does have an edge of lines on the Charles side, and dots on the Elizabeth Side. Is this one of the restrikes from the 60s? It measures about 37 mm, and 17.3 g. It appears to be silver, not bronze - but I could certainly be mistaken. The only other I've found, which looks exactly like this one is here: http://www.vcoins.com/de/stores/coins_to_medals/37/product/1572_france__king_charles_ix_and_queen_elizabeth_of_austria_commemorative_medal_by_germain_pillon/591228/Default.aspx

but it is not stamped bronze on the edge, and the measurements do not match.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

-Or- if anyone could provide a source where I could find information on this commemorative piece, that would be great as well!

Would need pictures of your example to give an opinion.

Here is my bronze example this is a restrike, the ponticon is so weakly struck so cannot tell what it is but the colour is the old chocolate patination so I assume circa 1845.

The one on the link you posted is way over priced, in my opinion.

008-2.jpg007-2.jpg