CoinPeople.com

When did the $2 note fall out of use?

I find this very confusing. I see the odd well circulated 1976 series, but most of the 1976 and later $2 I see are EF or better. On the other hand, most 1953 series I see are usually well circulated. Was there any particular reason this denomination fell into disuse?

I used quite a few series 1976, 1995 and 2003 $2 bills as change for my garage sale customers this weekend. Frankly I went for convenience and curiousity. I passed out halves and $2 bills in place of two quarters and two one dollar bills.

Many customers remarked they were the first they had seen in a long time. They liked getting them. Except for one lady in her early 50's that shuddered when I handed her her change.

I don't know when they fell into disuse. When I was a kid they were bills that carried a bag reputation. The idea was that gamblers and "hooligans" used them. $2 being the standard for betting at race tracks.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess would be that those 50's bills were United States Notes. When the 1976 Bicentennial came around, the $2 was updated, as were the $1, 50cent and quarter coins. It's said that many people hoarded the "new two" because of it's design change. That's probably why the tradition goes on for the 1995 and 2003 series as well. I've been known to spend some, though.

• 4 weeks later...

When the prices of commodities and "stuff" went up for Joe and Jane Sixpack it was more convenient to carry $5s, $10s, and more so now $20s to the store. When change is given there is little difference between carrying 2 ones than a two. And even with 4 dollars in change, it is easier to purchase things with ones, like a Double Cheesburger, or a Cherry Coke or Snickers bar from a machine.

I postdate the time when twos were "in fashion" so I really can't compare to the "old days". But I personally enjoy getting a 2 or a SAC in change. I enjoy also giving them out to purchase with, especially when the checkout clerk has no idea where to put the odd denomination of change or FRN :ninja:

I Still get a $2 in change from the coin shop sometimes

And i can buy the red seal $2 bills pretty cheap

I love spending the $2 at the local stores here the looks on clerks faces are priceless :ninja:

Hey T3 I Could get you a $2 Bill if You Want

I love spending the $2 at the local stores here the looks on clerks faces are priceless :lol:

You want to know what's priceless? Maybe you should spend this one.. I'm sure the employee would call the police at once :ninja:

100000f.jpg

Last time when I flew back from the US, I had some dollars left for last-minute purchases at the airport. Got rid of most coins, but still have a $2 note which the woman (hm, girl) at the store did not want. Oh well. :ninja:

Christian

Last time when I flew back from the US, I had some dollars left for last-minute purchases at the airport. Got rid of most coins, but still have a $2 note which the woman (hm, girl) at the store did not want. Oh well. :ninja:

Christian

When I left Germany I bought up all the 10DM coins that nobody wanted, I like silver.

I Still get a $2 in change from the coin shop sometimes

Yes, but do you receive any in circulation (besides the coin shop)?

Coin shops often give out interesting change. Several dealers in my area give out commemorative 25c, nickel 50c, $1 coins as well as $1 and $2 notes out in change for example.

...  $2 being the standard for betting at race tracks. 

That's my understanding, also. When I was a kid, we had thoroughbred racing and trotters, both in Ohio. Kentucky and a few other states were also lenient about horse racing. Generally, it was illegal across the USA and as a consequence, "off track betting" was an illegal marketplace. All of that is of a piece.

At that same time -- c. 1960 -- Warner Brothers dominated television with cowboys (Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco) and detectives (Surfside 6, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye). Being set in Miami, Surfside 6 often had at least one scene at a track every show, if only the bell and starting gate followed by a close-up of two people in the stands talking.

The point is that $2 bills were never "popular."

Back in the states I know several places that give them out. It is a bit gimmicky but there is a bar in OKC that has an $8 cover and always gives out US$2s in change. A scrap metal dealer in Houston advertises on TV they always "pay you in two dollar bills". I bet on the ponies often and use them all the time. Just depends on where you go.

They were very popular on some western train routes as the laborers got paid a wage of two dollars a day for working, and usually were paid in two dollar bills.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Texas-It's bigger than France

Back years ago, the Veteran's Administration gave vets $2 bills for travel expenses. In the 70's when gas prices went through the roof they went to the voucher system. So that is why alot of the older $2's show wear and newer ones usually end up in the hands of folks like us, collectors not spenders.

Don't try to pass a $2 off at Kroger, I tried yesterday in the U-Scan area and it does not accept them. I ended up having to wait for the cashier, who was busy chatting with her friend and thus distracted from her duty, to push a button and then prompt me to bring the bill to her. After a couple of minutes I finally got my 11¢ in change.