CoinPeople.com

Round 4 - Nineteenth - Group 4

Which do you prefer?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• France
    • US

If the french coin had not been so rim damaged I would have gone with it, but things that you might turn a blind eye to early in the competition begin to stand out when compared to the competition.

The bird.

If the french coin had not been so rim damaged I would have gone with it, but things that you might turn a blind eye to early in the competition begin to stand out when compared to the competition.

The bird.

I never even noticed the damage, bashed edges don't figure high on my list of things to worry about.

I never even noticed the damage, bashed edges don't figure high on my list of things to worry about.

While it usually means little to me with regards to my taste in coins, when you are looking at coins in competition with each other I not only look at their attractions but their distractions.

Collectors should as a matter of course pay close attentiion to the edges of a coin. Quite apart from being one of the first things to check out when determining coins from counterfeits, it can also sometimes tell you a bit about the items history.

For example have a look at one of my 5 frs of the same type .

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/fob.jpg

Hopefully you will readily notice that it has a loop mount on it which keeps it suspended on my key ring. :lol: Even if the loop were to be expertly removed a trace of its history would still remain to advise you that it had not quite led the life of a cherished collectable coin, no matter what its appearance at the time may suggest. Sometimes what looks like an edge ding can be where an expert has removed a mount or tried to fill an edge hole where a pin had been inserted. Edge dings are always worthy of closer inspection to ensure that they are just that. Edge dings, and not the symptom of something else. :ninja:

Hopefully you will readily notice that it has a loop mount on it which keeps it suspended on my key ring. :lol: Even if the loop were to be expertly removed a trace of its history would still remain to advise you that it had not quite led the life of a cherished collectable coin, no matter what its appearance at the time may suggest. Sometimes what looks like an edge ding can be where an expert has removed a mount or tried to fill an edge hole where a pin had been inserted. Edge dings are always worthy of closer inspection to ensure that they are just that. Edge dings, and not the symptom of something else. :ninja:

True, although i figure you misinterpreted my post. I do keep a look out for mount marks and intentional damage etc. However, edge knocks are something i can live with, it'd have to be really serious to put me off.

Although i collect only hammered coins these days so edge wise there's usually not alot going off apart from a bit of clipping.

Archived