CoinPeople.com

Edward the Confessor English Coin.

LostDutchman

I've just started with this stuff so I could be wrong but....

Looks like its supposed to be this type:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of All England, Edward the Confessor (1042-1066) Silver Penny. Hammer cross type (minted 1059-1062). Hastings mint; Wulfric, moneyer. Obv: +EADPAR RD RE, crowned bust right; sceptre before. Rev: +PVLFRIC ON HAESTI, voided long cross with pellet in center.

I say "supposed to be" because yours kind of has a cast look to it, not hammered, but for all I know that all look like that (never seen one in person). Maybe someone with more expertise can give you a more solid opinion as to authenticity.

I haven't looked in my book, but Edward the Confessor coins are quite prolific (along with Canute's and Æthelred II issues), so it's unlikely to be a dud.

I think the surfaces are just a bit fuzzy due to it being buried probably for many centuries (waterworn being the thought that comes to mind). Although i can see where the others are coming from.

Hastings mint nonetheless, ironic me thinks.

There are a lot of 'copies' coming out of Austria just now. Some people will 'age' them, bend them, bury them in horse manure, etc just to make a dishonest buck. I couldn't voice an opinion on your coin, but it pays to be very wary with hammered. :ninja:

(strange wear - only in the quadrants?)

This coin came out of a large world coin collection that I have been buying parts of lately... The gentleman who put it together passed away 15 years ago... so this coin has been in that collection for at least 15 years... if that means anything for it being a modern copy or not I have no idea. I don't know when copies came out...

also after looking at this coin again... it's pretty thin..and has a slight bend in it...

thanks again for the oppinions guys! I learn more and more about this stuff every day.

I'm not an expert but it doesn't look right to me. Too round. Most hammered I see are not that round and so perfectly centered. Nor do I see them with what almost looks like a raised rim all the way around the coin. Most look like wafers and have thin tapered edges.

I'm not an expert but it doesn't look right to me.  Too round.  Most hammered I see are not that round and so perfectly centered.  Nor do I see them with what almost looks like a raised rim all the way around the coin.  Most look like wafers and have thin tapered edges.

All those points you raised are fairly typical of coins from that era. Here's a Canute penny struck in the 1020s/30s to compare it with;

899300.jpg

Coin quality was very high from the 970s until around 1080, it began deteriorating slowly as the century drew to a close, the early 12th century saw it deteriorate rapidly, the stuff produced in the mid-12th century is probably the lowest quality coinage produced in England, the coinage remained pretty poor until the 1279 recoinage.

Archived