CoinPeople.com

Charlemagne 100 frs and 15 ecu / 100 frs

Ian

1990 saw France create two coins with Charlemagne obverse and his monogram (Karolus) typically found on silver deniers minted during his reign.

The first coin depicted here was issued in Uncirculated with a value of 100 francs on the reverse (KM 982). The second was issued as a proof strike with the same intrinsic value noted on the reverse but with 15 ecus noted obverse (KM989). Look at the difference in size! They are both .9 silver but the unc version is considerably smaller in dimension and weight.

In 1999 the proof coin had a catalogue value of $145 dollars, the unc. had a catalogue value of $45. I haven't a clue what they are worth now, but my betting is that I should have sold the proof coin back in 1999. I'd be pleasantly surprised to learn that it is still worth over the $100 mark but i'm not going to count on it. I actually was so impressed with the design that I somehow ended up with five of the mommas! What a sick sad puppy I am. :-(

charlemagne100fr15ecuObv.jpg

charlemagne100fr15ecuRev.jpg

In 1999 the proof coin had a catalogue value of $145 dollars, the unc. had a catalogue value of $45. I haven't a clue what they are worth now, but my betting is that I should have sold the proof coin back in 1999. I'd be pleasantly surprised to learn that it is still worth over the $100 mark but i'm not going to count on it.

I just have the 2004 SCWC which lists the proof piece at $95, and the unc coin at $37.50 ... But do we care about catalog prices? Of course not - or else we would, at least from time to time, turn into sick sad puppies. :ninja:

The design is actually nice. I particularly like the smaller one where Charlemagne has a full beard, and not some bogus face value instead of a chin ...

Christian

Oh those are going on my list.

I only have one of the unc 100 frs, but for some reason I ended up with five of the 15 ecu /100 franc proof coins.

If you or anyone else wants one then feel free to make a (reasonable) offer. Same goes for any of the modern proof or unc type coins i've ever posted here. It might save me having to use ohboy!com which in my book would be a bit of a blessing. :-)

Ian

Archived