CoinPeople.com

Still Bad at Collecting

jlueke

Maybe not as bad, but I still have trouble focusing. With the PCI here I've seen and purchased some coins solely because they are absolutely gorgeous. So now I'm going to have to organize a collection simply around aesthetic qualities.

Then I still have the birth year set. My ancients/medieval is quickly evolving into a portrait set from Rome, Persian, Byzantium, and into the European successors.

Maybe I just need more money :ninja:

Nice to see PCI is doing it's job and messing with collector's minds, making them want coins they never realised they wanted.

Ironically i seem to have gone the other way, i've all but quit collecting because i can't afford it. I've no urge to buy anything and i haven't had since last October, i've made a few forced purchases since but i can't say i'm bothered.

So now I'm going to have to organize a collection simply around aesthetic qualities. 

Maybe I just need more money :ninja:

Try as I might, I can never completely avoid aesthetics. Sometimes I end up with things just because I like them. Now, if I could only resolve that money thing ........

I picked up way too much stuff just because of aesthetics. Now the "collection" doesn't make sense. I'll be reorganizing my focus yet again :ninja:

When I was ill a few years ago, I decided to refine my collecting interests and find a focus to build on. Since that time, I have had virtually no problem staying focused on the few regions I chose (1. Slavic states 2. ex-USSR states 3. Iron Curtain/Eastern Bloc 4. decimal UK 5. Canada). I did expand a little, to include the Slavic stamps, which I consider that a natural extension of a "true collector", but I still find myself struggling to get rid of the rest of the stuff that I am not trying to collect anymore. Most of it is common "junk box" stuff (which is where I used to spend ALL my time & money). In the last year or so, I have made some strides, including a few successful auctions, a few fair trades, and even gave away quite a few coins to a couple members here & elsewhere. Still have thousands of coins to get rid of, but I cannot synchronize my time and ambition to get anything done with them.

Organisation is the destruction of pleasure! What the heck! If you like it-buy it! :ninja:

I like that quote, spot on!

I have a bit of both, organized confusion maybe?

I have a seperate safe for my collections....that and the random piles on my computer desk lol.

Anyway I have one I keep all my US coins in, and the other is for all of my foriegn coins. I collect type-sets in the US coinage, and I collect anything and everything that looks neat in any of the other countries stuff.

I'm a mess, lol! :ninja:

Archived