CoinPeople.com

Wright brothers giveaway

I've got three 2000 copper/nickel $5.00 coins from Liberia commemorating the Wright brothers first flight. For a chance to win, just post something about the Wright brothers on this thread...it can be fact or it can be humorous BS. Winners will be picked randomly from all posters later this week.

Here are some examples of allowable posts :ninja: ...

An example fact post: Wilbur wright died on May 30, 1912.

An example fiction post: Orville Wright's first girlfriend Luella Lumpkin gained a certain fame in her own right...She was well known around her hometown of Fuzzbucket, VT for growing her nose hair to extreme lenghts and braiding riatas of it for the local cowboys to use when competing in calf roping competitions.

In 1903, they built the Wright Flyer - later the Flyer I (today popularly known as the Kitty Hawk) - carved their own propellers, and had a purpose-built engine made by Charlie Taylor in their bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio.

Lyman Gilmore claimed to have made the first powered flight on May 15, 1902 using a steam engine in Grass Valley California. There is a junior high school named after him there and if his claims are true he pre-dated the Wright brothers by almost 19 months. I used to live in the Grass Valley / Nevada City area and it was widely believed his claim was true.

Haha!They invented and fixed Bicycles and soon realised that paper/Fabric wings cannot survive in water or fire. And is no good in transport.Inventors of the Anti-Aircraft weapon :ninja: and destroyed the use of horses.In conlusion, they invented the B-12 bomber which revolusionised nucleur warfare. :PAnd also thats how our coins are shipped now dazys, thanks to the Wright Brothers.TKC!:PAlso Inventor of Puke bags.

Probably during the winter of 1885-1886, Wilbur was hit with in the face with a bat while playing an ice-skating game. The injury at first did not seem serious. In the Bishop's words, "In his nineteenth year when playing a game on skates at an artificial lake at the Soldier's Home near Dayton, Ohio, a bat accidentally flew out of the hand of a young man... and struck Wilbur, knocking him down, but not injuring him much. A few weeks later, he began to be affected with nervous palpitations of the heart which precluded the realization of the former idea of his parents, of giving him a course in Yale College." For the next four years, Wilbur remained homebound, suffering perhaps as much from depression as from his vaguely-defined heart disorder. During this period, Wilbur cared for his mother Susan, who was dying from tuberculosis.

The Wright Brothers' family home and original cycle shop where the flyer was built were purchased by Henry Ford and moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan to be enjoyed as a vital piece of American history. Both of these buildings were originally constructed in Dayton, Ohio around 1875. The Henry Ford Museum also contains numerous documents and photos from throughout the Wright Brothers' lives, from early family photos in the 1870s, to examples of items made by the Wright's printing company (formed in 1889) to booklets from the Wright Flying School in the teens. Ford was also a huge fan of Thomas Edison (the subject of a 2004 commemorative coin) and moved or recreated many of the buildings of Edison's Menlo Park, NJ complex at Greenfield Village where they are still displayed today. Edison was also a guest of honor at the opening of Greenfield Village in 1929.

As I know, the Wright brothers were the firsts manufacturers of flying bicycles... or it was about the first flying tandem? I am confus... :ninja: Anyway I am sure that they were brothers...

They are from the south so iI thought .... :lol:

you might be a REDNECK IF........................

you go to family reunions to pick up a date :cry:

you think watching professional wrestling is foreplay.

you think a Volvo is part of a woman’s anatomy.

you ever won first prize in a tobacco spittin’ contest.

you think the last words to The Star Spangled Banner are “Gentlemen, start your engines.”

you think the theory of relativity has something to do with inbreeding.

you’re familiar with Copenhagen but have never heard of Denmark.

your wife has a beer belly and you find it attractive

you use the shaving cream made for tough beards . . . and so does your husband

you’ve been married three times and still have the same in-laws :ninja:

The first aeroplane purchased by the American Government was a Wright Biplane, "Miss Columbia", sold by the Wright Brothers on July 30, 1909. The price was $25,000, but a bonus of $5,000 was awarded because the specified maximum speed of 40mph was exceeded.

The Wright Brothers had an ongoing fued with Glenn Curtiss, who as an unknown won the first international aviation meet in Rhiems, France in 1909. From that success, the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company became the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world during WWI, producing 10,000 aircraft during the war. In the meantime, after Wilbur had died, Orville formed Wright Aeronautical in 1919, and successfully allied with Charles J. Lawrence (and purchasing his company) to develop the J-5C Whirlwind engine. Looking for a way to advertise their advanced new engine, they found it in a sleek Ryan monoplane called "The Spirit of St. Louis" which in 1927 used the new engine to power Charles Lindberg's 33 hour and 29 minute flight from New York to Paris. On July 5, 1929 twelve of the Wright and Curtiss affiliated companies are merged to form the Curtiss-Wright Corporation, which is still in the aerospace business today, listed on the NYSE under the ticker CW, with annual revenues in excess of $1 billion.

As I know, the Wright brothers were the firsts manufacturers of flying bicycles... or it was about the first flying tandem? I am confus... :ninja: Anyway I am sure that they were brothers...

E.T. was the third Wright Brother.

"Oh, jeeh, you're ignorant! That's the Wright Brothers' plane. At Kitty Hawk in 1903, Charles Lindbergh flew it fifteen miles on a thimbleful of corn oil. Single handedly won us the Civil War, it did."

- Abraham Simpson

OK, this contest has come to an end.

I wrote the names of each poster on slips of paper and had my daughter pick three from a hat.

The winners are...

JTryka

AKDRV

BooYah

Please PM me with your addresses and I'll get the prizes in the mail.

Thanks for playing!

Archived