CoinPeople.com

Best coin grading service for future value

swest2004@yahoo.com

Hi everyone. I am new to the coin grading arena and just bought a couple of gold proof buffalos. I also will get 2 of my silver eagles proofs graded.

Obviously, I want the highest grade but my coins should grade good regardless being proofs and all. So I am just trying to figure out the best grading service. It seems to be between NGC and PCGS.

From the forums I have read, it seems people suggest that NGC is a little loser and thus may be of less value then the same graded coins from PCGS. If I had identical coins that were graded the exact same by both companies and received the same grade...would there truly be a value difference between the two?

I just need to make a decision on which one I will join and send submissions. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

If I had identical coins that were graded the exact same by both companies and received the same grade...would there truly be a value difference between the two?

Generally, yes there will be a price difference between NGC and PCGS.

For modern coins where the premium value is most dependent on the grade written on a slab insert, PCGS tends to have a premium. That premium is directly related to the grade assigned (i.e. PR-70 would have a bigger premium for PCGS than PR-69 and so on). The other thing to consider, is that although NGC PR-70s are worth less than PCGS, your odds of getting a PR-70 from NGC though small are still much greater than PCGS.

As for which I would recommend, I am a member of NGC, and used to be a member of PCGS. If you think your premium might be worth the delays, and horrific customer service of PCGS then go with them. For me, I value the service and lack of constant headaches, so I went with NGC.

With PCGS being the higher value?  Or would NGC be higher?

Thanks

PCGS will be for the most part. Same coin with the same grade from both companies, PCGS will command a higher price.

People think PCGS is the best grading company, so the prices are higher. I beg to differ but what do I know...

When I join, I'll be choosing NGC. Mainly for the same reasons as Jtryka mentioned.

I personally think the best grading service for future value is you. If you learn to grade properly, the coins that you purchase today will grade creep forward as the years pass and supplies become more restrained. IMHO raw coins are usually priced enough below slabbed coins to make the extra effort more than worthwhile. You can always choose a service later on in your collecting career and have the coins graded. In years to come there will probably be shakeouts and changes in the whole grading service process.

Computerized grading - a dream in the 70s and for the most part impractical will become a reality as soon as 3d scanning becomes a reasonably priced technology. Again MHO.

I personally think the best grading service for future value is you. If you learn to grade properly, the coins that you purchase today will grade creep forward as the years pass and supplies become more restrained.

Here here! I couldn't have said it better. :ninja:

Archived