CoinPeople.com

Can anyone give me any information on this coin??

sbvenman

This coin is marked with, "Bank of Upper Canada 1854," on the obverse and "Bank Token One Penny" on the reverse. I'd appreciate any information on this one. A value or mintage would be great too. I can't find it in my Krause.

Thanks

912722.jpg

Charlton (Standard Cat. Canadian Tokens) doesn't make mention of a mintage. This piece probably grades good (and would be the lowest grade undamaged piece I've seen for the type), and would likely have a retail value of $1.

• 6 months later...
Charlton (Standard Cat. Canadian Tokens) doesn't make mention of a mintage. This piece probably grades good (and would be the lowest grade undamaged piece I've seen for the type), and would likely have a retail value of $1.

Britian was very slow about providing Canada with coinage and at the same time forbid Canada from producing their own. Sovereignty considerations....

We used American, French and Spanish coins as a result. And, then banks issued these tokens.

Mintages are out there and many consider them very undervalued. Not much supply, but not much demand either.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work

The 1850's occasionally turn up over here in New Zealand.It is the 1852 & 1854 issues that are pretty common over here.The 1857's very seldom turn up over here.I had to wait years before a pair of the 1857's turned up in a coin auction.I ended up being the only bidder on them.I can't recall off hand how much I paid for them though.

Aidan.

Archived