CoinPeople.com

2007 Dollar coin.......Did you know?

Dockwalliper

From the bill

< (11) Placing inscriptions on the edge of coins, known as edge-incusing, is a hallmark of modern coinage and is common in large-volume production of coinage elsewhere in the world, such as the 2,700,000,000 2-Euro coins in circulation and coins of the People's Republic of China, but it has not been done on a large scale in United States coinage in recent years. >

A hallmark of MODERN coinage? Started when in the 1600's? And has not been done on a large scale in the US in recent years. Yep, other than one modern commem, not since 1933.

< `(II) in the case of President Chester Alan Arthur, incorporating the name and likeness of Alice Paul, a leading strategist in the suffrage movement, >

The other President that didn't have a spouse will have Liberty as protrayd on a coin current during their administration. Why did they single out Chester Arthur for a different treatment? And why Alice Paul rather than one of the other "leading suffragettes"?

As for the Arabic numerals I think his point is that the nubers we commonly use today are NOT Arabic numerals. These are Arabic numerals. ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩ (sorry they are so small)

From the bill

< (11)

As for the Arabic numerals I think his point is that the nubers we commonly use today are NOT Arabic numerals.  These are Arabic numerals.  ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩  (sorry they are so small)

No we do use Arabic numerals today-- the arabic script you show is not actually "Arabic" it was imported later into the language. 1234567890 are Arabic numerals.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Like Reading, Thank a teacher

Well, I am usually in the minority on these opinions, but I like the idea of the presidential coins. And yes, I am one of the quarter-crazies out there. I agree, though, with wanting it to take a shorter period of time to complete. 12 years - I'll be an old woman!!

:ninja:

Well i don't think much to the whole idea of the series at all. Profit margins again for the mint = more junk.

But you will be surprised to find that to be honest i actually like that design. The wig is what did it i think. It looks kinda Royal in a way, which makes me like it. The reverse is so-so, no real feeling about that one way or the other.

Whenever they come out i want one of the Washington ones. I'm not entirely looking forward to the Jefferson one though...

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was in High School Mad Magazine had a spread on commemorative coins we would like to see.

They had one where the mint was issuing a special commemorative coin for every living American.

The way the US Mint is getting, I think someone there took that parody to heart.

State quarters, the new nickles, the Presidential Dollars, the first wifes club thing for the $10 gold piece. What next?

What's next? Probably commemorative coins for the first dogs or for senators' girlfriends. Actually, it makes little difference what images they impress upon these worthless pot metal tokens. The hard truth is beginning to take hold even among the mass of TV hypnotized people that this crap isn't real money.

Gold and silver are real money. Paper and pot metal are tokens whose only value lies in legal tender laws requiring subjects of the issuing authority to pretend that they are valuable. Pure nonsense from a gaggle of morally retarded, self proclaimed rulers whose time is almost up.

• 1 year later...
What's next?  Probably commemorative coins for the first dogs or for senators' girlfriends.  Actually, it makes little difference what images they impress upon these worthless pot metal tokens.  The hard truth is beginning to take hold even among the mass of TV hypnotized people that this crap isn't real money.

Next will be historical moments in US History coins.

Iwojima flag, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, berlin wall coin with "tear down this wall" quoted on it, landing on the moon, battle of gettysburg, etc.

Next will be historical moments in US History coins.

Iwojima flag, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, berlin wall coin with "tear down this wall" quoted on it, landing on the moon, battle of gettysburg, etc.

President Bush coughed up the pretzel instead of choking on it, on and on and on.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer but I like the dollar program. In fact, I like anything like this that the Mint does that brings attention to collecting and gets more "young" people involved in our hobby.

I cannot count the number of people I've met, many at the local coin club, who started with Statehood Quarters and moved to Lincolns, Jeffs, and then onto Barbers or US Type Sets. Let's face it. If you don't like the coins you don't have to purchase or collect them.

<< I cannot count the number of people I've met, many at the local coin club, who started with Statehood Quarters >>

Now how many of them would have been there if the state quarter series had been struck just for collectors and not circulated? Because that is in effect what is going to happen with the presidential dollars. A long four coin per year series that no one is going to see because they won't circulate and after the first year or so will be struck strictly for sale to collectors.

The mint has a 3 1/2 year supply of dollars on hand right now. After the first year of the president dollars they'll have a TEN year or more supply on hand. So what happens the second year? Roll sets and bags for collectors, just like they do the Sac dollars now. UNLESS they discontinue the dollar note. Then they will be able to move the inventory and the presidentail dollar series will probably be as successful as the state quarters.