CoinPeople.com

A red letter day on the Bay

elverno

Purchased a coin from an English seller and three days later they showed up as "no longer registered". I figured, well that's a dead fish and sure enough no coin. About three weeks later I noticed that they were reinstated so I contacted him to find out where my coin might be. After two more notes to that effect he finally replied that this was the first (not third) time I had contacted him and that the coin had been sent insured mail and gave me a RM ID.

He also told me it was my problem not his. So I went to the local post office who had no record of that package. Neither did the USPS have a record of ever receiving a package by that ID. So I wrote the seller suggesting it was time for him to take some action. After ten days of no response I finally gave him a negative, only the 2nd I've written in over 1500 transactions. That drew the response:

buyer left neg feedback for no reason?? very bad ebayer!!!!

So I'm in the 99.9% club. Is there a prize? :ninja:

Oh boy I just hate people like that with a vengeance! They play on the fact that the amount involved is not significant enough for you to be troubling yourself with restitution.

One of the guys at rcc (Australian) had a similar problem concerning having been sent a brass jeton instead of a genuine spade guinea. Seller just ignored his requests for a refund etcetera. I contacted the seller and shortly afterwards seller paid up directly to the Aussie chap. I think it was a case of `oh...this guy is on my doorstep and not 5,000 miles away. I'd better play ball'. Maybe he would have played ball without my poking my nose in.....who knows.

If you like, you can always give me a note of the RM number he gave you. I'll check with Royal mail first thing monday to see if it is legitimate or not and we can take it from there.

BTW if hyou hang around ebay long enough, it is just a matter of time until you come across your fair share of creeps and morons. I've met more than a few in the past ten years.

Ian

I feel your pain, elverno. Are you also located in the UK? If so, ten days is probably a long enough wait. But if you are in another country, it sometimes takes an inordinate amount of time for shipments to clear customs, etc. I had to wait 10 days for a shipment from Belgium to Switzerland, which did eventually show up.

In the future, if something like this ever happens again (hopefully never will, of course!), you might consider filing a claim with eBay first (the equivalent of "non-paying bidder", but for the seller) and see how he/she responds. You will then have 90 days to clear things up. I would leave the negative feedback as the last resort.

Note that if you do not file a claim, you have only 60 days in which to pull up the auction and/or leave feedback; otherwise, it disappears into the happy hunting grounds of eBay heaven (or hell, as the case may be :ninja: ).

Sorry to hear about the neg :ninja:

That's another reason I have completely quit using e-bilge.

The "quality" of the typical sellers and buyers has gone WAAAAAY down since I first started there years ago.

I had something really similar happen to me one time. I purchased a 1983 US proof set, like a $4 item+ shipping and two days later the guy isn't a registered user, I filed a report with ebay and paypal, and they responded with a bunch of BS about the item not being valued high enough to merit coverage, aint that some bs?

Ebay has its share of good and bad, I've cancelled about 3 or so bids on my auctions because of excessive negatives in their feedbacks. But I've also let ones bid with 0 feedback, maybe it depends on my mood lol. Although I play it safe and bid on numismatic items only in the US and sell only to US and Canada. (Although I do CP deals worldwide, but the people here are much more trustworthy!)

I had something really similar happen to me one time. I purchased a 1983 US proof set, like a $4 item+ shipping and two days later the guy isn't a registered user, I filed a report with ebay and paypal, and they responded with a bunch of BS about the item not being valued high enough to merit coverage, aint that some bs?

Ebay has its share of good and bad, I've cancelled about 3 or so bids on my auctions because of excessive negatives in their feedbacks. But I've also let ones bid with 0 feedback, maybe it depends on my mood lol. Although I play it safe and bid on numismatic items only in the US and sell only to US and Canada.  (Although I do CP deals worldwide, but the people here are much more trustworthy!)

Here in europe they take the first 20 euro to cover their internal cost :ninja:

I was swindled for 500 dollars by an american and got 200 minus 20 is 180 euro back after a few pounds of paperwork

So anything less then 20 is not covered :lol:

Archived