CoinPeople.com

a question about using pounds of differents

Hispania

Hi coinpeople members: :lol:

the other day i was thinking and i was quetioning if i can use par example man islands pounds in england or falkland islands coins in gibraltar...

And what about banknotes?' i could use gibraltar banknotes in england??

i wait your replies,

Thanks,

Alfonso :ninja:

It is possible to get and use the coins of course because of the size similarity. However you might expect to have to change the banknotes for

Bank of England notes as stores, business might take exception to accepting them. There are a few instances where they will not take Scottish banknotes, and a few more where they will not take Northern Ireland £ notes. They can be changed at a bank.

You get a lot of these similar coins (Gibralta & Isle of Man especially) in circulation in UK because of the physical similarity, but traders can sometime object and require replacement, though not often when they are busy! :ninja:

• 3 months later...

All the silly little Island coinages aren't legal tender on the UK mainland, i generally object to taking them in change. You get fed up of seeing them. If you do get stuck with one though you can always find a vending machine, thank gods for vending machines!

As for notes, Bank of England notes are the safe bet. If i was working behind a till i wouldn't accept Ireland or Scottish banknotes, as they're not legal tender where i am (i.e England), and they're a pain in the arse to get rid of.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aidan Work
All the silly little Island coinages aren't legal tender on the UK mainland, i generally object to taking them in change. You get fed up of seeing them. If you do get stuck with one though you can always find a vending machine, thank gods for vending machines!

As for notes, Bank of England notes are the safe bet. If i was working behind a till i wouldn't accept Ireland or Scottish banknotes, as they're not legal tender where i am (i.e England), and they're a pain in the arse to get rid of.

What is wrong with getting Channel Islands,Manx,Gibraltarian,& Falkland Islands coins in change? That is how one can get coins from these countries without actually having visited them.

We used to get Aussie & Fijian coins in change,but we no longer get foreign coins in change,as we changed our coins over here in New Zealand.

Aidan.

• 4 weeks later...
What is wrong with getting Channel Islands,Manx,Gibraltarian,& Falkland Islands coins in change? That is how one can get coins from these countries without actually having visited them.

We used to get Aussie & Fijian coins in change,but we no longer get foreign coins in change,as we changed our coins over here in New Zealand.

Aidan.

I personally like getting them for that reason, I probably will never visit any of those countries (especially the Falklands and St Helena & Ascention) so to get any of those in change is a bonus IMHO

• 2 months later...

Have to agree that I dont mind getting them in my change but looking at it from the point of view of the vendor they eat into the profits and are a pain, also they are not legal tender, so it could cause problems if someone was caught trying to pass them on in change.

De Orc :ninja:

Archived