CoinPeople.com

An idea for someone with money

Brett

I have had this idea for a while and thought I would share it with everyone. Maybe someone will see it and get a product put out.

Ok my idea is to take facial recognition software and instead of using faces, imput pictues of every coin ever made. It would have to be on a huge server. But imagine you have a coin and don't know what it is, you could take a pic of it or scan it and input the image into the program. The program would be able to tell what Country and denomination it is.

Could also do the same with banknotes. Not sure if Ancients could be done, since I don't collect and don't know anything about them.

What are your thought about it????????

The basic premise is a great idea, and probably very workable. In practical terms, I think it just will not happen in the near futer. First, (I am assuming here) the software for such a system is quite expensive at this point in time. Consequently I cannot see any individual or private enterprise working on setting up such a system for free. My guess is that there are very few that would pay for such a service. Now, if a non-profit organization took on the effort, maybe a cooperative effort between some of the big national numismatic societies? Or perhaps even closer home to us here, a university that supports studies in that field could sponser the project as a graduate work, and could theoretically work hand-in-hand with Omnicoin. As the site has numerous examples of a similar coin, it would be a perfect testing ground to see how such a recognition system could work on different sources (scans, photos, etc) and differing effects (lighting, filters, etc). Just some random thoughts. :ninja:

I have had this idea for a while and thought I would share it with everyone. Maybe someone will see it and get a product put out.

Ok my idea is to take facial recognition software and instead of using faces, imput pictues of every coin ever made. It would have to be on a huge server. But imagine you have a coin and don't know what it is, you could take a pic of it or scan it and input the image into the program. The program would be able to tell what Country and denomination it is.

Could also do the same with banknotes. Not sure if Ancients could be done, since I don't collect and don't know anything about them.

Have you been watching star wars again?

I've thought about that as well. Although I was thinking if it would be possible to uniquely identify a coin. For older coins maybe, for modern coins one Lincoln is probably as good as the next. In either case I think the cost of doing so at the moment outweighs the potential gains, but the future looks promising.

It is very doable. I don't see much problems - the major hurdle to this is the get the program to understand vector scaling and that should do almost everything although that will be for the moderns. Crude struck coins would be a lot more difficult than I would imagine.

Fortunately enough, usually most of the time, people on this forum would usually recognize unknown coins right away. :ninja:

It is very doable. I don't see much problems - the major hurdle to this is the get the program to understand vector scaling and that should do almost everything although that will be for the moderns. Crude struck coins would be a lot more difficult than I would imagine.

Fortunately enough, usually most of the time, people on this forum would usually recognize unknown coins right away. :ninja:

I think the biggest problem would be the inptut image quality and variables. But that all depends on the degree of ID you are looking to do.

I think what Brett meant was an electronic version of such reference books. Researching unknown coins could be very time consuming especially if you have more than 2000+ years to deal with. :ninja:

Time consuming and costly, some of those reference books don't come cheap.

I haven't seen any of the new Star Wars movies. Does Star Wars use facial recognition software???

not faces but in the deleted scenes they us it to Identify Technology like you were talking with coins :ninja: .

Archived