CoinPeople.com

Doubled die or double strike?

While in Sweden earlier in the summer, I came across what looks like a doubled die. Not sure, but would like your opinions. I finally got some enlarged pics taken over the weekend. (Sorry for the poor lighting, first time with a digital camera).

Here is a close-up of a normal 2003 strike

2003SWE10kronor2.jpg

Here is a close-up of what I am suspecting

2003SWE10kronor.jpg

Here are links to 2 other pics at a little further distance. The "doubling" affects all the letters around the obverse including the date. I, however, just cropped the area of the photo where it can be seen.

link 1

link 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
Mint Error News Article

I remember that I've read this article one day. A collector of Swedish errorcoins. Maybe he can help you?

Looks to be an easy question for someone who's used to that coinage.

Regards,

Jos from Belgium

Hello Jos and welcome!

I actually tried to send this gentleman an email last week twice (he has his own website of errors), but both came back as they were unable to be delivered. :ninja: Perhaps he has changed his email, but not updated the contact information on his site?

Hello Jos and welcome!

I actually tried to send this gentleman an email last week twice (he has his own website of errors), but both came back as they were unable to be delivered. :ninja: Perhaps he has changed his email, but not updated the contact information on his site?

Strange indeed. But how old is that person. Maybe he has just retired, and forgot that website is still there.

So the journey goes on ! :lol:

Jos from Belgium

Strange indeed. But how old is that person. Maybe he has just retired, and forgot that website is still there.

So they journey goes on ! :lol:

Jos from Belgium

That may be.

I sent an email to the Swedish Numismatic Society last year but never received a reply. So if you ever hear about related to this, I would love to know. In the meantime I will continue to try and see if I can contact the next door neighbor to see if anyone knows anything. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

This coin is definitely and without a doubt a hub doubled , doubled die struck coin. It might be a type where the impressions into the die were made with two different hubs , that would make a difference in the type of lettering if the two hubs were not identical. It would be like the 1960 Lincoln Cent Doubled dies that are large date over small date varieties.

I am not sure what the value of this coin would be as the market for non U.S. doubled dies is a completely different ball game.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi All,

This coin is definitely and without a doubt a hub doubled , doubled die struck coin. It might be a type where the impressions into the die were made with two different hubs , that would make a difference in the type of lettering if the two hubs were not identical. It would be like the 1960 Lincoln Cent Doubled dies that are large date over small date varieties.

I am not sure what the value of this coin would be as the market for non U.S. doubled dies is a completely different ball game.

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you Bill and to all else who have replied. :ninja:

I have been a bit hesitant to push for replies without being sure of what I have. Now I do feel much more confident with what I have and will continue to try and see if any others have been reported in Sweden. If I am lucky it will become a recognized type, but I am unsure of the popularity of such error types in Sweden.

• 3 years later...

Hi Harri! Nice to hear from Finland! . I am not so good at small variations like double dies etc, but I know that some people are very

fond of such errors, so I cant actually say if this is very unusual. If You want to sell it You can try swedish Tradera site, but my guess

is it will not be so expensive.

Best regards,

Martin from Sverige

While in Sweden earlier in the summer, I came across what looks like a doubled die. Not sure, but would like your opinions. I finally got some enlarged pics taken over the weekend. (Sorry for the poor lighting, first time with a digital camera).

Here is a close-up of a normal 2003 strike

2003SWE10kronor2.jpg

Here is a close-up of what I am suspecting

2003SWE10kronor.jpg

Here are links to 2 other pics at a little further distance. The "doubling" affects all the letters around the obverse including the date. I, however, just cropped the area of the photo where it can be seen.

link 1

link 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Harri! Nice to hear from Finland! . I am not so good at small variations like double dies etc, but I know that some people are very

fond of such errors, so I cant actually say if this is very unusual. If You want to sell it You can try swedish Tradera site, but my guess

is it will not be so expensive.

Best regards,

Martin from Sverige

Thanks for the reply! If this really is a doubled die, I think I will keep it for the time being and keep on trying my luck on finding another sample.

• 7 months later...

Sure looks like a double die to me too. Regardless of what others may say, you should try to see if there are any coin shows in your area. Those usually have many experts that may (or may not) really know. There is a site where the person that runs it is basically into US Lincoln Cents, but he has written a few books on coins. In one of them on the first 50 or so pages he explains all the varieties of errors and how they happen. Try showing him those photos.

www.coppercoins.com

Archived