CoinPeople.com

Morgan Dollar by year

Mark Stilson

Okay, post your morgans. I'll go ahead and try to keep track of it. First group 1878. I'll wait a few days in between changing dates and give a warning before changing. Remember keep to the date. That way we can have a some what organized year set. If you have more then one for the year go ahead and post it if possible in the same post. Put in what ever info you want but at least year and mint.

Really pretty interesting what happened thru the years listed check out all the stuff at

1878 from Wikipedia

"Cleopatra's Needle arrives in London. Battle of Shipka Pass IV: Russian and Bulgarian forces defeat the Ottoman Empire. The Lincoln County War begins in Lincoln County, New Mexico. The phonograph is patented by Thomas Edison. In anticipation of war with Russia, Disraeli mobilizes the reserves and calls up Indian troops to Malta. In California, the poet and American West outlaw calling himself "Black Bart" makes his last clean getaway when he steals a safe box from a Wells Fargo stagecoach. The empty box is found later with a taunting poem inside. Yellow fever in Mississippi Valley kills over 13,000. "

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1878 S

19A II 14 · B2w (Doubled Motto, Die Gouge Cap, Engraved Wing Feather) (181) I-2 R-6 Reverse B2w– Arm of R completely missing in TRUST with open G in God. Die extremely over polished with letters of UNITED STATES very shallow and a number of leaves disconnected in wreath. Small dots of metal all over eagle.Largest known obverse die gouge in the series

912848.jpg

1878-P VAM-7 Tripled E

7 I2 6 - A1d (Spike A) (189) I-2 R-4

Obverse I2 6- Doubled left stars, E, PLURIBUS U, and 187. The 'E' in 'E PLURIBUS is tripled.

The '7' in the date is doubled on the left side and tripled at the bottom.

Reverse A1d- The A in STATES has gouge across it (found on VAMs 7 and 14-5 ). Filled center of E in ONE.

Strong doubling on the outside of the left wreath, the letters of UNITED STATES and on the tops of the letters of the motto 'In God We Trust.'

This is an eight tailfeather variety. This variety shares the reverse A1d with VAMs 6, 7, 14-5, 14-8, and 14-19. VAMs 6 and 7 are relatively common, but the other three are major rarities.

919962.jpg

1878-CC VAM-2 Die Chip on Nose (Doubled LIBERTY)

2 II 2 ∙ B2a (Doubled LIBERTY) I-2 R-3

Obverse II 2 – LIBERTY slightly doubled shifted left. Some specimens show die chip on nostril. Some also show die chip on front of forehead and top of eyelid or between loops of 8 on left.

Reverse B1a – Normal die of type B1 with medium mint marks at medium height with die chips in the center of both C's.

Although the VAM encyclopedia calls the VAM-2 "Doubled LIBERTY" with LIBERTY slightly doubled shifted left, other attributions are more apparent on this variety. One of the more prominent attribution features with the VAM-2 is a large die chip on Liberty's nose. In earlier die states the chip on the nose is very prominent but can also be extremely weak in later die states.

920970.jpg

1878-P VAM-142 Doubled 878

142 II/I 22 - B2b (Doubled 878) (179) I-3 R-4

Obverse II/I 22 - Doubled LIBERTY shifted left; doubled P,R,U,U, and M in PLURIBUS UNUM; doubled top of 878 in date and right side of 7 vertical shaft. All left and right stars slightly doubled. EDS of this variety is 2-sided PL. The middle die state has noticable stray reverse polish lines.

Reverse B2b - Same as B2a, but with hub break fill which leaves open the upper part of o of God.

VAMs 196 and 142 share the same obverse.

945080.jpg

1878-P VAM-39 7/8 Tailfeather 7/5 variety

HIT LIST 40 MORGAN VAM

39 II 2 B/Ai (5TF) (179) I-4 R-5

Reverse B/Ai - Five tail feathers ends showing; between 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5, 5 and 6 and under 6 TF. Design remains in leaves of branch, below branch on left, and inside wreath bow. Die chips around R in TRUST.

Vam-39 is a 7/8 tailfeather variety that shows five tailfeathers emerging below the strong 7 feathers. Another attribution feature is looking at the underside of the olive branch to the left of the eagle and above the arrow feathers. All VAM-39's appear to be clashed, and are actually the sub-variety VAM-39A.

929446.jpg

Great start on 1878, Mark! :ninja:

Here's what I have ... most are not as pretty as yours, and I haven't had time to attribute all the VAM stuff ... the 1878-P 7/8 TF is probably VAM-41, although I haven't confirmed this yet.

=======================================

New addition as of March 27, 2010:

1878-P VAM 84A Super CD - ANACS graded MS-62

I can't post any more images in this message, so will add them at the end of the thread with a link here:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...st&p=490988

=======================================

1878-P, 7 over 8 tailfeathers (probably VAM-41):

Morgan_Dollar_1878_7o8_TF_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1878_7o8_TF_rev.thumb.jpg

Detail of feathers:

Morgan_Dollar_1878_7o8_TF_feathers.jpg

1878-P, 3rd reverse:

Morgan_Dollar_1878_3rd_rev_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1878_3rd_rev_rev.thumb.jpg

1878-CC:

Morgan_Dollar_1878_CC_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1878_CC_rev.thumb.jpg

1878-S:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_S_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_S_rev.thumb.jpg

Larger images are here (for VAM work):

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._7o8_TF_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._7o8_TF_rev.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...3rd_rev_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...3rd_rev_rev.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...1878_CC_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...1878_CC_rev.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1878_S_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1878_S_rev.jpg

=====================

New addition as of Feb. 8, 2010:

=====================

Just got this from Heritage auctions ... am using their images for the time being:

1879-S:

Morgan_Dollar_1879_S_obv.thumb.jpg

Forum wouldn't let me post the reverse in the same post ("too many images posted"):

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...S_rev.thumb.jpg

Larger images are here (for VAM work):

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1879_S_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1879_S_rev.jpg

Great start on 1878, Mark! :ninja:

Here's what I have ... most are not as pretty as yours, and I haven't had time to attribute all the VAM stuff ... the 1878-P 7/8 TF is probably VAM-41, although I haven't confirmed this yet.

1878-P, 7 over 8 tailfeathers (probably VAM-41):

It is one of the 7/8 Tailfeather Reverse, long nock, parallel arrow feather. VAM 30 thru 45. But I don't think a 41. I don't see the gouge in the cap.

The 1878 cc I can't tell for sure but maybe a 1A line in eye?

The 1878 s maybe a 96 check for die polish lines in liberty. Hard to see inside the loops of the S in a picture. But from the picture it does look like something is going on.

Thinking about it I will check tomorrow after work and may call it to next year. If we wait a full week between years it will may drag it out too long. If you don't have time, access to pictures, or even want to save a spot for a coin you could make a post to the thread and save a spot in the year. Later on editing that post for what you have.

Alright post your 1879 Morgans. BTW hopefully we can get a 1879 cc in here. Tough year/mint.

1879 from Wikipedia.

"The Specie Resumption Act takes effect. The Greenback is valued the same as gold for the first time since the Civil War. At New York City's Madison Square Garden, the first artificial ice rink in North America opens. Women's rights: American President Rutherford B. Hayes signs a bill allowing female attorneys to argue cases before the Supreme Court of the United States. In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and 10-cent Woolworth stores. The discovery of saccharin is announced. The birth of Albert einstein Ulm, Kingdom of Württemberg, German Empire. Deadwood, South Dakota fire: Two-thousand people left homeless. Three hundred buildings destroyed. Total loss of property is estimated at $3 million. "

Really should look at doing some upgrades on this year.

Not in the best shape but a 1879 s second reverse. They used older 1878 Parallel arrow feather dies on these. As a group any of the 1879 S Parallel arrow feather are a top 100 VAM. Just need to get off my kester and get back to make a full id on the vam number

915394.jpg

Another I need to get back to. 1879 S

910926.jpg

1879-S VAM-18 Doubled Date

18 III2 9 ∙ C3b (Doubled Date) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 9 – Entire date slightly doubled on surface. 1 doubled at top right, 8 doubled at bottom right. 7 doubled on bottom of upper serif and right side of shaft plus very bottom. 9 is doubled at left outside of both loops.

Reverse C3b – Centered IV S mint mark tilted to left.

909117.jpg

The common 1879-O VAM-1 Closed 9

1 III2 1 ∙ C3a (Closed 9) (176) I-1 R-2

Obverse III2 1 – Normal die with closed 9. Some examples have die chips between the loops of the 8 on the left side.

Reverse C3a – Oval medium mint mark centered and upright. Normal die.

912716.jpg

1879 P Like I said need to spend some time on this year checking vams and getting some better grade ones.

909451.jpg

I really don't collect Morgans. I have a few in type sets and I actually have a Dansco for them. Your coins are beautiful and very tempting.

1880 Morgans

1880 from Wikipedia.

"The first electric streetlight is installed in Wabash, Indiana. And about a month later. Wabash, Indiana becomes the first electrically lighted city in the world. The "Blizzard of 1880" begins in North America. The first cash register is patented by James and John Ritty of Dayton, Ohio. Vaudeville actress Lillian Russell makes her debut at Tony Pastor's Theatre in New York City. Helen Keller born. "

Keeping this moving. Next date 1880 If anyone has or gets a 1879 cc or some other 1879 pm me and I'll put it in one of my date change posts to keep this in order with you name.

Really need to go thru more and check vams. And mark them even if they are vam 1's so I'll remember if I looked at them.

1880 p

909484.jpg

1880-S VAM-34 Doubled Date, S Set Left, Tripled Right Reverse

34(revised) III2 23 · C3m (Doubled Date, S Set Left, Tripled Right Reverse) (185) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 23 – Entire date is slightly doubled. 1 is doubled faintly below top crossbar and above bottom crossbar. First 8 is doubled on right inside of lower loop and slightly on bottom outside. Second 8 is doubled at bottom left outside of upper loop. 0 is doubled on top surface at left inside and slightly on lower right inside.

Reverse C3m – Medium IV S mint mark set to left. Outer leaves of right wreath slightly tripled towards rim. AMERICA, LLAR and right star slightly doubled towards rim.

919963.jpg

1880-S VAM-11 0/9 Overdate

This coin is a Hot 50 Morgan VAM

III2 7 ∙ C3f (0/9) (184) I-4 R-3

Obverse III2 7 – Metal with polishing marks in the remains of the 9 within the top of the opening in 0 of the date. There is a bulge on the outside of the 0 at 10 o'clock. The top loop of the second 8 has a few dots of metal on the right outside of lower loop. 1 doubled on right side of shaft and below upper crossbar. Second 8 doubled at lower outside of upper loop.

Reverse C3f – (medium) IV S mint mark set high and repunched with short vertical spike extending downwards from middle of top loop opening and curved line in middle inside of lower loop opening.

The so called 1880/79-S overdate, one of the Hot 50. Die polishing marks are evident.

909320.jpg

1880 O

928906.jpg

1880-CC VAM-4 Reverse of 78 Overdate

This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM

4 III2 3 ∙ B2a (80/79) (178) I-5 R-4

Obverse III2 3 – 80 repunched over the 79 in date. The two serifs of the 7 show above the 8, the bottom of the crossbar shows in the top of the upper loop and the stem shows on the right side of the lower loop. The 9 shows within the 0 in the top left and bottom and a bulge shows outside at 10 o'clock. 1 has die chip at top right of shaft. First 8 has vertical polishing marks inside partially filled loops.

Reverse B2a – Normal die of B2 type with centered small II CC mint mark and parallel arrow feathers.

VAM-4 is an 80/79 Overdate. This overdate coin has a strong 79 remaining under the 80 in the date. The reverse has an 1878 design with the top of the arrow feathers running parallel to the arrow shaft rather than the typical 1879 onward design that has angled feathers. The parallel arrow feather reverse of 1878 dies are generally considered more desirable.

946567.jpg

Normal placement date, mint mark looks centered and upright. But it looks like it may be a VAM 2 large S. Only other thing I spot odd is what looks like it might be a die chip in the bottom of the upper loop on the second 8. But that does not match up with vam 24 which is the first 8. Really great pictures and morgan. :ninja:

Here is the link by date. The one for 1880 s vams. Here is a pretty nice write up on Vam attribution. Stuff like date and mint mark placement, clash overlays, etc. A lot of times its pretty tough working off photos any kind of doubling most of the time does not show up unless you are specifically trying to catch it. Date and mint placement are fairly easy. One of these days I need to get a usb microscope to take close ups.

BTW I figure to shift to 1881 tomorrow.

Adding the 1881 year history here from Wikipedia.

"Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company. Kansas becomes the first U.S. state to prohibit all alcoholic beverages. Alexander II of Russia is killed near his palace when a bomb is thrown at him. He is succeeded by his son, Alexander III. The Four Dead in Five Seconds Gunfight erupts in El Paso, Texas. Billy the Kid escapes from his 2 jailers at the Lincoln County Jail in Mesilla, New Mexico, killing James Bell and Robert Ollinger before stealing a horse and riding out of town. The American Red Cross is established by Clara Barton. James Garfield, President of the United States, is shot by lawyer Charles Julius Guiteau. He survives the shooting but suffers from infection of his wound, dying on September 19. Billy the Kid is shot and killed by Pat Garrett outside Fort Sumner. The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral occurs in Tombstone, Cochise County, Arizona, USA. Virgil Earp is ambushed in Tombstone and loses the use of his left arm. Pablo Picasso born, Spanish painter (d. 1973) "

Okay shifting to 1881. Another anybody got a 1881 cc?

I really need to mark these even if they are VAM 1's just so I'll know if I looked at them.

1881 S

929447.jpg

and

968327.jpg

1881 O

948195.jpg

1881 P

909118.jpg

1881-S VAM-55 S/S

55 III21 · C3u (S/S) (187) I-3 R-5

Reverse C3u– IV S mint mark re-punched with original showing as diagonal spike at top middle of upper loop opening, an arc to the right of the lower loop opening and a triangular bit of metal separated from the top left of lower serif.

909462.jpg

1881-S VAM-8 S/S Right

8 III2 1 - C3d (S/S Right) (?) I-2 R-4

Reverse C3d- Mint mark is repunched with original showing as a vertical bar to right of top serif. Loop of mint mark filled.

912529.jpg

That s is exceptional. :ninja: Looks like a

1881-S VAM-36 S Tilted Right

36 III2 1 - C3k (S Tilted Right) (184) I-2 R-3

Reverse C3k- Medium mint mark centered and tilted right with loops partially filled.

Reverse used on VAM-21, VAM-23, and 36.

I don't see any doubling on the date to be a 21 or 23.

The O looks like a

1881-O VAM-6 O Tilted Left

1 III2 1 - C3d (O Tilted Left) (176) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 1 - Normal dies

Reverse C3d - Mint mark centered and tilted left.

You really do take some great photos.

That s is exceptional. :ninja:

Thanks, Mark ... but you have some pretty stunning examples yourself! ;)

Looks like a

1881-S VAM-36 S Tilted Right

36 III2 1 - C3k (S Tilted Right) (184) I-2 R-3

Reverse C3k- Medium mint mark centered and tilted right with loops partially filled.

Reverse used on VAM-21, VAM-23, and 36.

I don't see any doubling on the date to be a 21 or 23.

The O looks like a

1881-O VAM-6 O Tilted Left

1 III2 1 - C3d (O Tilted Left) (176) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 1 - Normal dies

Reverse C3d - Mint mark centered and tilted left.

You know, I'm getting a free ride WRT the VAM attributions here, and I greatly appreciate it! ;)

I do own the VAM book, and I found a few varieties that my late stepfather had (I'm sure he knew nothing about VAM's because these are coins he collected back in the '60s and early 70's...) But it does take time (and a good magnifying loupe...) The latter I have, but the former is short at the moment. ;)

You really do take some great photos.

Thanks ... but so do you! ;)

Okay, moving on to 1882.

1882 from Wikipedia.

"John D. Rockefeller unites his oil holdings into the Standard Oil trust. P. T. Barnum purchases the elephant Jumbo. Roderick Maclean fails to assassinate Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. Old West outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back of the head and killed by Robert Ford. Great Comet of 1882: Her Majesty's Astronomer at the Cape, David Gill, reported watching the comet rise a few minutes before the Sun and described it as "The nucleus was then undoubtedly single, and certainly rather under than over 4″ in diameter; in fact, as I have described it, it resembled very much a star of the 1st magnitude seen by daylight.". Nikola Tesla conceives the rotating magnetic field principle and uses it to invent the alternating current generator/motor. Béla Lugosi born, Hungarian-born actor (d. 1956) Mary Todd Lincoln died, First Lady of the United States (b. 1818) "

I just noticed I never took a picture of my 1882 P. I'll get back to that later and up load it.

1882 cc

915989.jpg

1882 s

935478.jpg

1882-O VAM-3 Doubled 82, Open 2, O/S Flush

This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM

3 III2 3 - C3b (Doubled 82, Open 2, O/S Flush) (181) I-5 R-3/4

Obverse III2 3- Second 8 in date doubled on left outside of upper loop and bottom outside of lower loop. 2 doubled on right outside of upper loop. Polishing marks inside ear with area around neck overpolished. Open 2.

Reverse C3b- O over S variety with the center shaft of the S flush within the O. Small dots of metal all over eagle probably due to rusted die. An earlier die state shows a thin diagonal line.

In 1882 Three different New Orleans dies were prepared using dies originally created for San Francisco, making the famous 1882 O/S or O Over S varieties. There are three known 1882 O/S varieties: VAM-3, VAM-4, and VAM-5. The mint marks changed over the life of the striking, evolving so that more of the S crossbar showed. In all cases, the EDS versions are much more rare and desirable than the late die states. If you are unsure which VAM you have, check the attribution guide here.

Late die state of the VAM-3 O/S mint mark. VAM-3 has the center shaft of the S flush up to the level of the O. When looking at the LDS photo, notice the S crossbar is much thicker than the EDS versions below.

919625.jpg

1882-S VAM-20 Doubled Date, S Tilted Far Left

20 (revised) III2 17 · C3e (Doubled Date, S Tilted Far Left) (182) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 17– Doubled date. Slightly doubled 1 at top right side of vertical shaft. Left 8 doubled right outside of lower loop.

Second 8 doubled on left inside and strongly on right outside of upper loop. 2 doubled strongly at top and right outside of upper loop.

Reverse C3e - IV S mint mark tilted far to left and shifted left.

908434.jpg

1882-S VAM-28 Doubled Date, S/S Lower Loop

28 III219 · C3f (Doubled Date, S/S Lower Loop) (188) I-3 R-5

Obverse III219– Entire date is doubled. 1 slightly doubled below upper cross bar and lower right of vertical shaft. First 8 strongly doubled at left inside and right outside of upper loop and slightly doubled at right outside of lower loop. Second 8 strongly doubled at left outside of upper loop and slightly doubled at left outside of lower loop. 2 slightly doubled at left side of upper ball. Top of Phrygian cap slightly doubled.

Reverse C3f– IV S mint mark re-punched with original showing as pointed diagonal bar in middle of lower loop opening. Upper loop almost filled.

908435.jpg

1882 S

968328.jpg

Archived