CoinPeople.com

Hope some one can help!

chief0726

I recently purchased a coin at an auction that I have no idea what it is. I've looked through all my books and have been unable to identifie. Please, if anyone may have an idea I would be greatful. The "S" "P" on the obverse leads me to believe maybe Spain but I'm not sure. The date on the reverse is 1692 or looks like "A692" as well.

Thanks

coin1.jpg

It is 1692, the S P is for Saint Paul who is pictured with sword in right hand and a book (bible?) in left. The legend refers to the Cathedral and Monastery of Mons in present day Belgium

So pretty much no significant value? What would you say the denomination is?

coin2.jpg

It comes under exonumia, which is medals, tokens etc and most do not have a denomination as they were not currency (conder tokens had a value because they were used as unofficial coinage), most were commemorative.

As to value, I have not seen one for auction but at a guess I would think between $10 to $30. I could be way out on monetary value, though historic value is much higher.

It is a very nice medal/token, one that I would be pleased to have in my collection.

It comes under exonumia, which is medals, tokens etc and most do not have a denomination as they were not currency (conder tokens had a value because they were used as unofficial coinage), most were commemorative.

As to value, I have not seen one for auction but at a guess I would think between $10 to $30. I could be way out on monetary value, though historic value is much higher.

It is a very nice medal/token, one that I would be pleased to have in my collection.

Thank you so much for your help. I guess I did pretty good buying this at auction for $2.00.

Thanks again

FROM THE GERMAN STATE OF MUNSTER.

This is most probably a KM# 418, 3 pfenning (20mm) copper coin and in this condition of F-VF (none listed higher grade) is worth is about $25 - $30US

Or KM# 401, although no 1692's are reported to have been minted, 4 pfenning (22mm) copper coin, in this condition worth about $35-$70US (none listed higher grade).

IF EITHER IS UNIFACED you have a real goodie worth about $300.00 - $400.00US!!!

Here is the pic of the coin I referenced:

http://images.qxlricardo.com/ImgUsers/5/56...7/567710726.jpg

Sorry that I did not see the reverse of this interesting coin before my first reply. I enlarged your image of the obverse and printed it out and believe the date to be 1699, the 2nd 9 being smaller. This date is listed in my "The Standard Catalog of World Coins 31st edition". Mud

Here is the pic of the coin I referenced, it is identical to your picture:

Sorry that I did not see the reverse of this interesting coin before my first reply. I enlarged your image of the obverse and printed it out and believe the date to be 1699, the 2nd 9 being smaller. This date is listed in my "The Standard Catalog of World Coins 31st edition". Mud

Here is the pic of the coin I referenced, it is identical to your picture:

Thank you for the wonderful info you have both given me on this coin. After further observation under a 10X scope, it is a 1692, the bottom slash of the 2 is faded and is hard to see. I purchase this coin and a 1718 Sweden 1 Daler for $5.00 for both...you think I got an OK deal?

Thank you for the wonderful info you have both given me on this coin. After further observation under a 10X scope, it is a 1692, the bottom slash of the 2 is faded and is hard to see. I purchase this coin and a 1718 Sweden 1 Daler for $5.00 for both...you think I got an OK deal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think that you got a very good deal. Nice finds!! If you could post or PM me a scan/picture of the Daler I will be able to tell you it's worth which is based on it's grade, which particular 1718 Daler it is and which legend is on it. Could be worth anywhere from $5 to $450.

Yes, I think that you got a very good deal. Nice finds!! If you could post or PM me a scan/picture of the Daler I will be able to tell you it's worth which is based on it's grade, which particular 1718 Daler it is and which legend is on it. Could be worth anywhere from $5 to $450.

Pic of 1718 Daler. Only thing I can make out is Phoebus.

1718_Daler.JPG

Thank you so much for your help. I guess I did pretty good buying this at auction for $2.00.

Thanks again

how the devil did you do that!? :ninja:;)

I had one before, but could not identify it in any of my books or any website, nor could they ID it one a certain forum. Well done in acquiring a really good one for nothing! On the bay, I imagine it would go for a tenner soundly, probably more..

Pic of 1718 Daler. Only thing I can make out is Phoebus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to a a nice pic of another coin like yours posted on ebay: http://www.pierre-marteau.com/images/coins...hoebus-1718.jpg

Thanks for the pic of this Sweden's emergency coinage, KM # 359, 1718 Daler, composition copper, measuring 22mm, weight not given.

During the Great Nordic war, 1700 - 1721, the King Karl XII Carl XII)issued emergency coins (nödmynt). They were issued between 1716 and 1719. Every emergency coin represented a given value of a copper coin with the weight of 756 gram. The government did guarantee the value of the new coins and was supposed to redeem each holder of the coins after the war.

When Karl XII was killed in 1718 the government did redeem the emergency coins but only to 50% of its nominal value.

Sorry to say Chief, but this is one that is worth about $5.00. The second legend of KM 357 is the one worth up to $450.00.But it is a very interesting piece in that it's obv design differs drastically from the obv's of the other four 1718 Dalers which depicts the God Jupiter on one, Old Father Time on another, War God on another and Mercury, all in a similar pose without the rays. This design is of the Sun God with rays. 300,000 minted. As you stated; Phoebus \pho(e)-bus\ is the legend and means radiant. Apollo the Sun God was also known as Phoebus Apollo because he brought light.

Here's a link to some real pretty Emergency Dalers of the same time period: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sweden-Lot-of-5-1-Dale...418152008r27127

Have a GREAT day!! John

Archived