CoinPeople.com

how to photograph coins

chris421649

We had some nice threads about this and I've been looking for them but cannot find them. Stujoe posted a bunch on this and so did Tiffibunny. In the mean time go and check the DigitalPhotoPeople site. Links below.

DigitalPhotoPeople Coin Photography site

Also, if you go to google you will find many sites about coin photography. Here's one - pretty decent info there.H. Craig Hamlin on Coin Photography.

Have fun In addition Whitman has just published a book on Coin Photography.

Sorry not Whitman. See link.

Photographing Coins on Amazon.

We had some nice threads about this and I've been looking for them but cannot find them. Stujoe posted a bunch on this and so did Tiffibunny. In the mean time go and check the DigitalPhotoPeople site. Links below.

DigitalPhotoPeople Coin Photography site

Art, thanks for the link, very helpfull. Photo better than expected but still needed youngest sons help to post them. I knew he would come in handy for something if I hung on to him for long enough.

I'm decent at it but I approach it more as an art form than as an accurate representation of a particular coin. You simply must have a camera and lens capable of sharp images, after that it's lighting and experimenting--

These images were done with a DSLR camera and a 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I correspond with a guy who takes very nice images using a much lesser rig than mine but he has to work really hard.

2280518742_45d14d70d3_b.jpg

2280531586_d0584db8b1_b.jpg

tricks-2.jpg

3249140970_d048cec406_b.jpg

As already noted this question has been poping up alot lately. On several other coin forums too. Possibly the same person. Also, as noted try Google and type in coin photography. One of the best known is Table Top Photography. Also, a separate forum on www.coppercoins.com

Thanks for the help

I'm decent at it but I approach it more as an art form than as an accurate representation of a particular coin. You simply must have a camera and lens capable of sharp images, after that it's lighting and experimenting--

These images were done with a DSLR camera and a 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I correspond with a guy who takes very nice images using a much lesser rig than mine but he has to work really hard.

2280518742_45d14d70d3_b.jpg

2280531586_d0584db8b1_b.jpg

tricks-2.jpg

3249140970_d048cec406_b.jpg

I would say you are more than just decent at it, is that a slice of quarts the coin is resting on. Thanks for the info.

I would say you are more than just decent at it, is that a slice of quarts the coin is resting on. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for that. The Kookaburra is on a slice of geode which commonly contains crystalline structure, whether technically quartz I don't know. I've about 15-20 different geodes that I use along with many leather and fabric samples that I use for backgrounds. Notice the leather Panda background. It gives another element of composition. Usually I try to keep the background muted but sometimes I'll bring it up a few notches. See if you think I was successful below.

The picture of my setup posted above tells more about how I shoot than I could type in several hours. Just a couple of notes, the lights are never face on the the coin. That light "flattens" the coins whereas an oblique angle gives shadows that emphasize the coin detail. In the shot below, you can tell the principle light sources are to the top of the coin but there is a fill source lower. The lights bulbs themselves are CF 5500K daylight floods from Home Depot for about $6.

2942832282_05e9814932_b.jpg

TomD you're collection and photos are beautiful.

Yea TomD, way to make our photos look like fingerpaintings!

Seriously though, thats awsome.

For those who are interested in some nice and some unusual coin photographs, I'd suggest that you browse Omnicoin, of course, but also take a look at flickr. There are quite a few groups dedicated to coins of different countries, etc. You can also search for a particular coin you might want to see.

Flickr search for "coins".

Here's another interesting aspect of it. You can search and find groups/photos of coins/banks/coins in jars/etc. Lots of other photo sites have the same available.

Flickr groups - change in jars

Archived