CoinPeople.com

Ancient Coin Final Round

Ancient Coin Final Round  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which coin face best deserves to represent Ancient coins in the Coinpeople titlebar?

• Obverse
    • Reverse

Vote for the coin face that best represents Ancient coins. This coin will go in the titlebar at the top of this page.

Marv - Ptolemy VI, AR Tetradrachm 12.8 gm, probably Phoenician or Palestinian mint. 180-145 B.C.E Not in SNG Cop. or BMC. Ex: Shirley Barr Sage collection

922563.jpg

Voting ends Saturday, January 10th

To me, the obverse is the most startlingly beautiful face of the coin, and, as such, represents the signature high relief of many of the earlier Greek coins. The reverse is less so. When you see the coin in person, the obverse simply pops out as no modern coin design has done, with the possible exception of the high-relief or ultra high-relief St. Gaudens $20 designs. This was obviously a powerful strike too, as some of the Ptolemy eagle coinage is not so well struck. Most of the 14 Ptolemys continued to portray the visage of Ptolomy I Soter on the coinage, as does this coin, almost to the time of the last, and most famous, Cleopatra VII (there were six others), who, having married her brothers, Ptolemy XIII and XIV respectively to stay in power, was also the last of the Ptolemy lineage of Egypt, at around 300 years, the longest lived of the Kindoms resulting from the breakup of Alexander's empire.

I must confess that I think the obverse is far superior to the reverse. There's just something about the portrait that wins me over...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I remember voting for the eagle side but unfortunately it wasn't the winner :sorry: - check the CoinPeople header. Hope they make it back for 2011 so I can vote for the eagle side again. :grin:

Vote for the coin face that best represents Ancient coins. This coin will go in the titlebar at the top of this page.

Marv - Ptolemy VI, AR Tetradrachm 12.8 gm, probably Phoenician or Palestinian mint. 180-145 B.C.E Not in SNG Cop. or BMC. Ex: Shirley Barr Sage collection

922563.jpg

Voting ends Saturday, January 10th

Archived